Talk

Advanced search

Difficulty growing grass in shade

(6 Posts)
HeresLookingatEuclid Thu 08-Feb-18 10:33:42

One side of the garden is very shady.The grass is patchy and pulls up when mown.
In the past I have re seeded the area with seed for shaded areas.
Last year I re turfed.I have also used lawn feeds.
It looks green in summer if left long.Then dies off and goes mossy.
At the moment there are two large patches of soil with a bit of grass in which cats are now using as a loo.I want to discourage this.
I am thinking of either:
a)extending the border,putting in shrubs and using bark or stones on top
b)getting fake grass on that side only
c)growing poppies,grasses,wildflowers there(in a border).
d)paving the area.
The garden is a rectangle shape with a straight path down the middle.8 fence panels long 4 panels wide
My favourite idea is the poppies and wildflowers.

HeresLookingatEuclid Thu 08-Feb-18 10:35:05

Any suggestions?thanks.

lamettarules Fri 09-Feb-18 09:00:49

I have exactly what you describe in my garden and I have ended up extending and creating new beds .
I've chosen shade loving plants and I've come to think that these are easier than the plants I have in sunny positions as they need less care when it actually is hot and sunny .

lamettarules Fri 09-Feb-18 09:04:35

I have found forget me nots very useful ! Maybe aquilegia - though I'm not succesful with it .
I won't list my boring suggestions as there are loads of shade loving plants .

HeresLookingatEuclid Sat 10-Feb-18 09:16:21

Thanks, I love forget me nots.I have grown them in a sunny position in a pot before.
Hopefully it will look better with bigger borders.
I will shape the other side of the garden too for balance.

yamadori Sat 10-Feb-18 11:35:06

A border with shade-loving plants is probably the best way to go, your idea of wildflowers & poppies etc is unlikely to work well, as they would need sun, which that side doesn't get. You might have a better chance with shade-loving woodland flowers, as they like those conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now