Talk

Advanced search

Dying to get out in the garden!

(16 Posts)
Bigfatchips Tue 06-Feb-18 13:33:10

It's a beautiful sunny (but freezing!) day here in the south.

I am daydreaming about getting back to pottering around in the garden, getting some seeds started, all that jazz.

What temperature does it have to be for you to get out in the garden?

BuckingFrolicks2 Tue 06-Feb-18 13:48:01

About 15 degrees and sunny! I'm whiling away the weeks doing planning tho.

Witchonastick Tue 06-Feb-18 17:12:59

I was out today having a bit of a tidy up and pruning my roses.
I can’t wait for spring!

FuzzyCustard Tue 06-Feb-18 18:29:12

Me too. I'll go out in almost any temperature, (but over 10 for preference) but avoid rain especially as it makes the grass waterlogged. (We have, apparently had 115 cms of rain in Jan this year - the Jan average is 70cm....so it is WET!)

Bigfatchips Tue 06-Feb-18 20:56:17

Yes it's ruining the "lawn" <ironic laugh> that I'm worried about when it's very wet - plus we have heavy clay.

I miss gardening in the winter!

MrsBertBibby Wed 07-Feb-18 07:10:34

We were out Saturday, planting out violas, executing the pyracantha and planning improvements.

lamettarules Fri 09-Feb-18 09:11:34

Another here .
I wonder if I can justify a trip to Aldi to buy white crocuses ....?

I'm not really a fan of crocuses but they might look pretty in those bulb bowls I found myself buying on ebay ...
( should I mix with the muscari I snapped up at Morrisons ? Or just the crocus on their own ? )

Or will I have to bite the bullet and ,you know ,do housework.

Cantspell2 Tue 13-Feb-18 00:27:40

I have already started getting the garden ready for spring planting. Beds have been weeded and cleared of last years crocosmia, dead headed the hydrangea and started to cut back the roses. A couple of bonfires have been had to clear the leaves and prunings.
In the greenhouse the sweet peas were planted before Christmas and are doing well. The geranium, Pelargonium and rose cuttings have survived and bern potted on.
Next job is to wash down the greenhouse and clean the water butts. Then it will be time to look at early seeds and dahlia tubers.
And if it ever stops raining then the grass will have its first cut of the year.

Ffsnothingworks Wed 14-Feb-18 10:29:29

Been pruning various things. And discovered some dwarf iris flowering in a pot! I am loathe to do too much as I have had ladybirds hibernating in the past.

LouiseBrooksLook Wed 14-Feb-18 16:12:54

I have pruned some trees,bought some seeds and had a general tidy up.
I miss gardening in winter too,but enjoy planning for the year ahead,and watching gardening shows.
The end of March when the clocks go forwards is when I usually start up regularly though.
There is nothing like the feeling of the first full day back out in the garden.

FuzzyCustard Wed 14-Feb-18 17:16:19

I really need to do some gardening but it is just too wet at the moment. Hurry up sunshine!

MrsBertBibby Wed 14-Feb-18 18:16:46

Holy crap, I was outdoors for 10 minutes to get some sweet peas and globe amarath seeds sown. I filled the seed trays from my outdoor compost sack. My fingers hurt SO MUCH warming up again.

However, more seeds on the go! It's like I've never had whole trays of seedlings just die for no bloody reason ever. Or just not bother to come up.

Ffsnothingworks Thu 15-Feb-18 10:19:54

Sunny and 10 degrees here today, so looking forward to being outside.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Thu 15-Feb-18 10:21:25

We've been out in the garden/allotment all winter, it's when we get the work done. Not as much as usual though this year.

It has been hard this year though as it has been so wet.

RadioDorothy Thu 15-Feb-18 10:27:49

Ohhhh I really need to prune my climbing roses - only planted them last spring, they've grown well.

Unfortunately I've rather stupidly only just twigged that where I've planted them along a back wall and fence, the wall is a party wall (side of neighbours garage) and the fence is her boundary fence.

So I'm scared to attach anything to the surfaces I "carefully" (idiot) planned them to climb up, meanwhile they are draped majestically along the ground. blush

There was already light fittings and hanging basket brackets fixed to the garage wall when we moved in...would it be polite to pop round and ask her before I start putting nails in the muck joints?

Ffsnothingworks Thu 15-Feb-18 15:22:14

Spotted a bee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now