Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop cats shitting in my garden!?!

(36 Posts)
tvhearts Sat 03-Feb-18 12:27:06

Seriously disgusting!!!

Anyone got anything that actually works?

We have two little ones this is making me so mad!! 😡

MrsBertBibby Sat 03-Feb-18 12:39:01

Get a cat? Or a dog?

tvhearts Sat 03-Feb-18 13:27:20

Sorry should have added that I really don't like cats which makes it even more infuriating and means getting a cat NOT an option

borlottibeans Sat 03-Feb-18 13:31:55

It's impossible. You can spend a fortune on tiger wee and things that emit high pitched sounds, but ultimately they will still do it because cats are bastards. Probably they know you're trying to stop them and it makes them more determined.

FWIW I am not a cat owner but am considering acquiring a baby elephant and letting it trample and shit all over my neighbours gardens, because it's an animal and that's what animals do so it must be ok.

Loveache Sat 03-Feb-18 13:32:57

You get a man to pee around the perimeters of your garden. Worked for me!

FuzzyCustard Sat 03-Feb-18 17:46:31

I've got two cats and they never crap in my garden....they crap in the field behind us. So my answer is "live next door to a field". Probably not helpful.

Don't cats crap on the boundaries to their territory, or is that just wee? So it's hard to get them to move on and is why getting your own cat (I know you don't want to do this OP) works.

woodchuckchuck Sat 03-Feb-18 23:10:40

Very helpful fuzzy.

Cat owners are a different breed and think they can let their animals out to shIt anywhere. I'm thinking of letting my children out of the house to do the same in their gardens.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 03-Feb-18 23:12:42

Orange and lemon peel where they poop will keep them away from that spot.

Can’t really stop cats from peeing and pooping where they want, it could also be foxes. They tend poop everywhere as well.

Bastardingcough Sat 03-Feb-18 23:14:54

Pet lion

SuburbanRhonda Sat 03-Feb-18 23:15:26

Do an advanced search, OP - there are dozens of identical threads to yours with loads of suggestions, but do be aware there are some idiots on some of the threads who suggest putting down bleach or Jeyes Fluid, which will kill a cat that ingests it.

Greensleeves Sat 03-Feb-18 23:16:10

This is one of those problems with no easy solution. You think it's selfish for cat owners to "let" their cats crap in your garden. I understand it's ruining your garden for you and your children. On the other hand, it is cruel to keep a healthy cat inside all the time; they are essentially wild creatures and they need to be let outside to roam. It's not possible to make a cat use a litter tray if it has decided it prefers to go outside.

Vanillamanilla1 Sat 03-Feb-18 23:18:41

I've got this problem I'll be watching with interest

tvhearts Sat 03-Feb-18 23:56:28

Ahh god I'm no further forward!!!

FuzzyCustard Sun 04-Feb-18 18:00:52

Blimey woodchuckchuck that's a bit uncalled for. Cats are not party to man made boundaries...you could try squirting them with a water pistol I suppose.

And as for letting your kids crap in my garden, that's a really ridiculous thing to say!

ConfusedButInLove Sun 04-Feb-18 18:03:15

We use to spray fairy liquid and water over our garden beds. It does nothing to the flowers but when the cat licks their fur it tastes bad so they learn not to go into your garden.
If it is black poo it is a fox and nothing you do stops them. Good luck. flowers

joystir59 Sun 04-Feb-18 18:03:49

Electrify the lawn

gryffen Sun 04-Feb-18 18:19:43

Cayenne powder in a spray bottle - when you see the cat spray it's behind and any fences it sits on.

It works great (2x cayenne to a pint of water).

It's 100% natural and you'll see a cat shoot out the area like a rocket once it licks it's ass.

Works a treat.

AmIAWeed Mon 05-Feb-18 09:07:54

I have cats and a dog, our issue is next doors cats using our garden and the dog eating it. bleugh!

Next door (the one whose cats come to crap) put netting down which the cats dislike walking on, hence them coming to ours, netting is no longer there but cats still keep coming to ours. I am putting gravel down, large not pea gravel, to hopefully move them along again

Clankboing Tue 06-Feb-18 10:54:28

Olbas oil works well.

Jacobismygirl Tue 06-Feb-18 11:03:55

Holly... scatter leaves/ branches around your plants and they don't like it

tvhearts Tue 06-Feb-18 18:40:23

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I love my garden and this is really getting me down 😕

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Tue 06-Feb-18 19:06:58

Citrus oil, Olbas oil, bottles of water filled on lawn, CD's dangling in the breeze- cats dislike al of these.

My in laws got a thing that makes a high pitched noise that puts them off.

Failing that- squirt them with a water pistol or hose if you see them. I'm a crazy cat lady and I would much prefer you squirted water at one of mine than did anything to hurt them to get them out of your garden.

Fishcalledlola Tue 06-Feb-18 19:13:33

We've got a high pitched noise box, it works. Our garden isn't very big, you might need a couple.
The guy who's cat was shitting in the garden used to come and pick up the poo, bless him. He told me to put pepper down after I mowed the grass.

Parsleyisntfood Tue 06-Feb-18 19:31:51

I have 3 cats (happy and healthy indoors) and alway suggest chilli powder in this situation. Just as much as you can chuck down everywhere. Obviously you have to be really careful where the kids play. Maybe just the perimeter, but sprinkle tonnes. Yes, it would hurt cats if it came in contact but the point is they are going to smell it 3 gardens over.

tvhearts Tue 06-Feb-18 19:51:16

Thanks @Fishcalledlola pepper could be an option, what would chilli powder do to cats? Wouldn't want to hurt them but also want something that will work if that makes sense

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: