Talk

Advanced search

Beginner veg patch

(5 Posts)
Littlelambpeep Sat 13-Jan-18 15:12:10

Last year I just did peas and herbs. Lettuce.

This year I want to grow a lot more. I was thinking of buying elho raised beds (will try and get a picture )

Can anyone give me some pointers.

tittysprinkles Sun 14-Jan-18 07:19:22

I am a raised bed newbie too. Last year I did lettuces and radishes but the need to do successional sowing meant that they got finished quickly and I couldn't be bothered to keep sowing for more. Swiss chard was brilliant as a cut and come again crop and runner beans were very productive. This year I'm getting a second raised bed to turn into a cutting patch for flowers for the house.

Littlelambpeep Sun 14-Jan-18 14:28:29

I have been doing some reading and I think peas can start early and some potatoes. I think grow bags seem to be the way to go. We have room but not really usable at the moment.

dreamingofsun Sun 14-Jan-18 19:18:56

usual advice is to grow things you like to eat and ones that are expensive or hard to get in the shops. If you google 'easy veg to grow' you will see lists of easy things. kale, chard, raspberrys, strawberries, lettuce, beans, mustard, lots of herbs, chilli's, squashes (take up a lot of room), courgettes are all easy.

Littlelambpeep Sun 14-Jan-18 20:39:25

Thanks dreaming.. Yes it makes total sense go grow stuff I use a lot. Love courgettes and any type of berry would go down well here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: