Talk

Advanced search

Hedging

(6 Posts)
wonkylegs Sat 13-Jan-18 15:06:33

We are looking to rejuvenate the hedge at the end of our garden this year. It's a big chunk of hedge about 50m long with some established trees but ever increasing gaps. It hasn't been looked after over the years.
It separates us from fields (& a footpath) and provides a much needed wind break & privacy although this is lessening as boys die off. The soil is medium clay.
I was thinking of infilling with native species but that's as far as I've got so I'm looking for suggestions for plants and where to buy them and due to the length required I'm obviously trying not to break the bank.
Any ideas?

Onesmallstepforaman Sun 14-Jan-18 21:53:04

If you're quick you can get some thorn whips in the gaps now. Cheap, simple to plant and hardy. Also provide some food for birds as they mature

MrsBertBibby Mon 15-Jan-18 07:48:05

Pyracantha grows like lightning, provides flowers for pollinators at a time when nectar drops off between spring and summer flowers, and fruit for birds (we had a blackbird riot when ours fruited this year, it coincided with an influx from Eastern Europe so there were droves of them gorging themselves). You can usually get it cheap as chips in Morrison's etc. It is evergreen, and thorny as hell to dissuade incursions.

MrsBertBibby Mon 15-Jan-18 07:50:09

www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Pyracantha-hedge-plants.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9f2nyr3Z2AIV4bXtCh2Hkw6UEAAYASAAEgKzB_D_BwE

wonkylegs Mon 15-Jan-18 14:26:25

I'm trying to avoid Pyracantha and Berberis as we took a lot of these out of the garden when we got here as they seem to attract child & DH injuries but thank you.

MrsBertBibby Mon 15-Jan-18 14:50:07

Ah yes, not good for playing in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now