Talk

Advanced search

Pots for vegetables

(6 Posts)
saxophonedelight Sat 13-Jan-18 13:40:35

Hello - I want to start growing some vegetables in pots, maybe some herbs first etc. I read that I should wash the pots out or disinfect them?

Is this true and how do I do it?

oneggshellsallthetime Sun 14-Jan-18 12:41:17

It's good practice to clean pots but not everyone bothers. What are your pots made of?

saxophonedelight Tue 16-Jan-18 13:34:53

Plastic and I think some sort of clay or terracotta that I got from a charity shop. I'm just worried as I want to eat the veg I grow from them

Mycarsmellsoflavender Tue 16-Jan-18 13:51:07

I think it's because of potential pests lurking in there, not because you're going to eat the produce. Farmers don't disinfect the soil before planting.
I never bother disinfecting pits. I'm sure rinsing them out would do the job ok if you're worried.

saxophonedelight Tue 16-Jan-18 14:15:53

Oh ok! I was worried I might kill off myself and anyone else who ate the stuff I grow from it (assuming it does grow!)

I'm definitely not 'at one' with gardening/nature although I want to be! I've just got rid of some old soil from pots and felt terrified I was going to see something sinister scuttling in it that might bite me. Stupid, I know and I need to get over it.

lostinblankers Sun 21-Jan-18 17:46:49

I never bother disinfecting pots. Maybe a good wash if I inherited them although that, I must admit, may involve leaving them standing out in the rain.
I'm trying carrots in containers this year. All I know for sure is to sieve the compost as finely as my garden sieve will do it and include sand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: