Talk

Advanced search

Korean fir

(9 Posts)
Ekphrasis Sun 26-Nov-17 08:32:48

I’d like to try to find a nice Korean fir in a pot to be then hopefully continually grown to use as a small Xmas tree each year, kept in a pot. A friend had one from a supermarket one year.

The larger ones (around 1m) seem very expensive online. Is it a pipe dream? Or just get a baby and spend a few years growing it? Had anyone seen one?

yamadori Sun 26-Nov-17 14:04:05

Garden centres quite often stock them in their conifer section (I got one a while back) and this time of year there are usually loads of conifers sold as mini Christmas trees. The Korean fir (Abies Koreana) is fairly slow-growing when in a pot by the way, which is why the bigger ones are expensive.

Ekphrasis Mon 27-Nov-17 10:25:16

Thanks, yes I think I’ve come thought the conclusion I need to go to the garden centres!

sizenines Mon 27-Nov-17 11:03:14

It sounds like a nice idea, just remember that being brought indoors can be quite a shock to a conifer. You can minimise the threat of killing it by putting it somewhere cool, draught free and keeping the humidity up with a bowl of water nearby without over watering the tree itself. The shorter time indoors the better for the plant.

Ekphrasis Mon 27-Nov-17 11:21:55

Yes, I’ll be acclimatising, and I think it’ll go in the porch which remains very cold (we store food there on Xmas eve!)

yamadori Mon 27-Nov-17 16:27:20

Sorry OP I wasn't being flippant suggesting you went to a garden centre (!) - it's just that a lot of garden centres often tend to stock only the latest 'in fashion' varieties these days, but the Korean fir does seem to crop up fairly regularly.

Ekphrasis Mon 27-Nov-17 16:49:33

No I didn’t take it like that.

Ekphrasis Mon 27-Nov-17 16:50:17

I’m surprised I couldn’t find a medium sized one online. They’re either seeds, twigs or huge!

yamadori Mon 04-Dec-17 15:55:58

Search 'Tree Nursery' and the name of your county - hopefully it will bring up a number of commercial growers which might also sell to the public.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: