Talk

Advanced search

Starting a veggie patch

(10 Posts)
wobblywonderwoman Sun 12-Nov-17 13:46:49

Next spring I want to start growing some basic fruit and veg. Has anyone got any tips. What should I start with ? Dh will make a raised bed but other than that I don't know where to begin?

catscatscats20 Sun 12-Nov-17 13:49:11

I'm starting this spring too!! I have been watching the sunlight in the garden to work out what's shaded and what's not, but that's as far as I have gotten! I think beans are easy to grow, I want to grow carrots and onions. Sorry I'm not that much help!

wobblywonderwoman Sun 12-Nov-17 13:58:25

I have bought some onion bulbs. What are you going to grow yours in cat - have you a raised bed or patch made up

AlternativeTentacle Sun 12-Nov-17 14:00:47

Onion sets? If so they need to be in soil now, not next spring. So if you haven't got a bed to put them in now, you need to put them in a tray or a pot, shoulder to shoulder and let them grow for the winter, and replant them out next spring.

catscatscats20 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:48:57

I have made a raised bed, but so far have planted nothing! I think I need to do more research, I'm rubbish with times - so I think I need to plan it all out on a calendar / wall planner to help!

Ausparent Sun 12-Nov-17 18:55:17

Best bit of advice I read was to make sure you grow things you like to eat. Sounds stupid I know but we had a massive rhubarb plant and none of us liked rhubarb! Write a list of your favourite things to eat and start researching them. By having a shortlist, you can focus your reading and over seasons get really pro at growing these things. This is better than having a whirl at everything.

Garlic and onions are super easy as are potatoes. Peas and beans are also easy.

Good luck!

wobblywonderwoman Sun 12-Nov-17 20:48:13

Thank You. I will plant the onions tomorrow. Have plenty of pots and compost. Will they be OK out in the frost over the winter?

AlternativeTentacle Sun 12-Nov-17 21:32:07

Yes they are overwintering onions.

nightshade Sun 12-Nov-17 21:51:01

Start with something u are gonna get quick results with...salad box...radish...peas...

shhhfastasleep Tue 12-Dec-17 08:16:50

Great tips here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now