Talk

Advanced search

Japanese Knotweed

(8 Posts)
user1498320065 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:06:52

Does anyone have experience of Japanese Knotweed on a new housing estate.
Our estate is almost complete but there is loads of the stuff growing 20 meters away.
I’ve tried the council but surely the building company have some responsibility of checking?

Efferlunt Sun 05-Nov-17 19:18:49

Who owns the land? It’s there responsibility to get rid.

Efferlunt Sun 05-Nov-17 19:19:03

Their even

user1498320065 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:44:51

It’s a farmer who owns the land. I’ve tried to find who it is but they probably won’t do anything.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Sun 05-Nov-17 19:50:13

Have the same problem on my estate, a farmer owns the land with the knotweed, we walk the dogs around it and I’m always paranoid they’ll somehow run around in it and spread it to our garden.

Efferlunt Sun 05-Nov-17 20:11:31

They have to do something about it. Think the wildlife and countywide act requires it. Is there a department of your council who can enforce this?

Efferlunt Sun 05-Nov-17 20:13:44

www.knotweed-uk.com/Knotweed-and-The-Law.htm maybe see if the council have an environmental department who could speak to farmer

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sat 09-Dec-17 09:19:53

Dogs can't spread knotted unless they are good at taking cuttings. It doesn't spread by seed.

My friend had Japanese knotweed on their estate and they got the local farmer to come and spray it with something.

Gone.

I was gobsmacked. Couldn't believe it. But true. Get the farmer to deal with it, they have some very strong poisons at their disposal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now