Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rose tree advice

(6 Posts)
Rowgtfc72 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:32:45

Hi, I've inherited quite a few aged rose trees. Oldest is about 50. I moved this one from front to back garden last November and am hoping to move the last one this November. First question is would this be ok or was it sheer luck the first one survived?
Second question is, I deadheaded the roses last September and also pruned them down at the same time. I've since read I shouldn't prune till spring. When is considered best?
Thanks.

AlternativeTentacle Sun 05-Nov-17 18:38:02

It really depends on what type of roses but if in doubt prune during Jan and move during November. If pruning and moving do it now.

Prune so that you have 3-4 stems, the strongest ones, and prune to just above an outward facing bud. Then dig up as much root as you can and move, plant straight away and water in, and put a mulch around the base. Leaves, grass mowings or bark chippings.

Rowgtfc72 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:49:46

Thanks for that.
Not sure what sort of roses they are but I have a Queen Elizabeth, Peace and Superstar among others.

AlternativeTentacle Sun 05-Nov-17 20:38:33

Sorry forgot to add that the 3-4 strongest stems need to be 6 inches above the ground.

Rowgtfc72 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:19:07

Very old trees first 12 inches easily bare wood, no buds!

rockcakesrock Wed 08-Nov-17 08:36:30

There is no real right or wrong season in pruning roses they are very forgiving plants. I Prune straggly or crossing branches in late autumn. This prevents damage from high winds and allows air to circulate. In early March I prune again if I think the Rose need it. Sometimes this is to take out a damaged or weak looking branch. Sometimes to improve the shape of the plant.

I hard prune one third of each climbing rose, so that I have a continuation of strong branches. My ramblers I just tie in and cut away any branches that are coming out at the wrong angle or ones that are crowding out others. If they get very tangled, I. take out one or two branches very close to the base. I do this in late October. My shrub roses have a very hard prune about every fourth year.

The only roses I don't prune are the Banksii variety. They have a profusion of flowers very early in the season, about April. The flowers only appear on very ripe branches, 2 to 3 years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now