Talk

Advanced search

Bamboo

(9 Posts)
ZivaDiva Wed 01-Nov-17 10:32:40

Can anyone recommend a fast growing, tall bamboo plant and where to buy it from? I need to create a quick growing screen and used to have some bamboo in my old house which fitted the bill but have no idea what type it was.
I've tried getting some sold as fast growing, 4 years later it's only grown a little bit.

JT05 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:46:43

I bought mine from Homebase. It was already quite tall and seemed to be just labelled Bamboo, obviously the common type that they sell.
I planted it in a very big pot. It has sent up a few new shoots.
I think some of the more special types are shorter and non invasive.
Sorry not much help.

MrsBertBibby Thu 02-Nov-17 15:10:14

Noooooo!

Don't plant bamboo in the ground. You and your neighbours will be digging it up forevermore.

I have spent the last 2 years trying to get a clump out. It is such a swine. It is popping up all over the lawn and hedges.

ZivaDiva Thu 02-Nov-17 18:10:39

I don't want to put it anywhere near the neighbours, it's against a boundary fence adjoining the road, no pavement or anything. We rent so may not be here for ever and need something fast growing.
Any recommendations for anything else, tall and fast growing.

MrsCaecilius Thu 02-Nov-17 18:24:00

If you rent you may want to ask your LL or grow it in a pot. As the other poster said it can be rampant and invasive and your deposit may be withheld if your LL has issues with it!

JT05 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:48:00

Try Laurel

PurpleWithRed Fri 03-Nov-17 13:56:27

Do not plant bamboo in the ground. Just don’t. Fastest is some tall screening with climbers to grow up it.

echt Sun 05-Nov-17 02:42:13

Bamboo is fine in the ground as long as you get the right type, i.e. clumping. If the label on bamboo, just says "bamboo", don't buy it. Buy only labelled plants, from a reputable seller.

Having said all that, I've planted six clumping bamboos, and still keep my eye on them, cutting back ones I don't want. They are only four years old and are higher than the house. I should say I live in Melbourne.

An unexpected aspect is that after a big long think, native birds will perch in them, so I'm still providing cover for the beasties.

Abbylee Sun 05-Nov-17 02:51:18

I see massive patches around. I also have an invasive bit that has grown under a fence, under a sheds foundation, and ruined my garden. I wouldn't plant it if were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now