Talk

Advanced search

Am I too late to plant bulbs?

(5 Posts)
freshstart24 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:12:21

I'm based in the Midlands. I hoped to plant some daffodil and tulip bulbs. We've had one slight frost already (yesterday). Am I too late?

handslikecowstits Tue 31-Oct-17 11:17:35

Nope not at all. Tulips should be planted in colder weather (providing the ground isn't rock hard) in order to prevent fireblight which likes warmer conditions. Daffs are fab and can be planted as early as September and you can get away with planting well into November. I have some daffs and tulips to plant. I've been itching for the weather to turn so I can plant them.

DerelictWreck Tue 31-Oct-17 11:19:48

I'd plant both and hope for the best - your Tulips will be fine, they're best done once autumn has set in (Oct/Nov) but your daffs might be a bit more hit and miss as, like you say, they are best done before any frost!

freshstart24 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:21:48

That's brilliant news- thank you!

I love the first signs of spring so am hoping to successfully introduce daffodils and tulips to my garden.

I planted some last year with minimal success but I think I bought fancy varieties which were tricky to grow. Going for try with basic varieties this year. Fingers crossed!

Trethew Wed 01-Nov-17 09:41:11

It will be fine planting in nov

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now