Talk

Advanced search

Pruning ornamental cherry

(5 Posts)
Brienne Mon 30-Oct-17 08:03:58

We have just moved into a new house and there is an ornamental cherry tree in the back garden which is lovely but clearly in need of a drastic prune and beheading.
I plan to get rid of all vertical/crossing shoots and any off the trunk and prob 25% of the length of some of the longer branches.
Google suggests now is a good time to do it but that I should perhaps consider wound paint too in a cherry as they are susceptible to disease. Going to use sterilised long handled loppers.
Any advice? Photo attached....
I don't want to kill it. The red bark in the sunlight is stunning!

Pithivier Mon 30-Oct-17 08:28:38

I am surprise that the advice is to prune now. I always thought that Ornemental Cherries should be pruned in late summer. They are prone to bleed otherwise.

Brienne Mon 30-Oct-17 08:41:46

I was surprised too. Not really sure what to do. Apparently def not spring or when flowering/fruiting...

IamSpartacusTheGardener Tue 30-Jan-18 21:18:56

No to loppers. Use a silky pruning saw with a fine tooth blade and sharp secateurs. Take no more than 1/3 of the tree per year. If you are looking to reduce the height then that is probably all you will be able to do in the first year. Prune in June/July to give you best chance of avoiding silver leaf.

Butterfly1975 Thu 01-Feb-18 19:22:59

Was the pruning advice from a UK website? Definitely don't prune now - August is the best time to do it as the other posters have said!

My neighbour pruned his lovely ornamental cherry last winter and it hasn't recovered sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: