Talk

Advanced search

Mushrooms along our wood chip borders/beds

(6 Posts)
AuroraBora Sat 28-Oct-17 11:16:38

Hi everyone

Looking for a bit of advice...

The previous owners of our house put wood chip down on all the beds. Looked lovely for the first year or so, but now we're into the damper, darker autumnal months we have mushrooms shooting up everywhere! We initially had loads of small white ones, and now it's much larger capped ones.

We've had a google and highly suspect it's due to the rotting wood chip, but what to do now? We're tempted to just pull up all the wood chip and make the beds back into beds, but would we need to buy a load of soil to put over the top of the beds?

I am not very knowledgeable about garden related things so please do excuse the ignorance!

Any ideas? Thanks! flowers cakebrew

TatterdemalionAspie Sat 28-Oct-17 11:40:35

Take it as a good opportunity to learn more about fascinating fungi?

Trethew Sat 28-Oct-17 22:08:51

Wood chippings frequently throw up fungi. It’s a visible sign of the massive fungal activity going on which is natural and normal decomposition. if it alarms you, or if you think a small person might consume the fungi, simply remove them. No need to remove the chippings

Trethew Sat 28-Oct-17 22:09:35

remove the fungi ... not the small people

TheQueenOfWands Sat 28-Oct-17 22:13:15

Ooo, could you take a picture?

I think mushrooms/fungi are beautiful.

We had some growing on a tree stump in our garden but it all kind of disintegrated.

AuroraBora Sun 29-Oct-17 01:27:10

They don't alarm me, I just don't think they look very nice and I'm slightly concerned it will never stop! grin if the fungi are feeding on the rotting wood then could this continue until all the chippings have rotted?

I will try to take a picture, but I'm out tomorrow and probably won't get home until after dark.

Oddly enough we also get them on our drive, which is gravel confused it is north facing, so more shady, but I thought they fed off rotting things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now