Talk

Advanced search

Scottish/Northern(anyone who lives somewhere bloody cold) Gardener's, advice needed.

(4 Posts)
VoodooCat Fri 27-Oct-17 11:31:36

I have rather successfully grown a large citrus thyme plant over the summer in a container.
Now it's coming to winter, bear in mind it reached the dizzy tropical heights of -6 here, hows best to over winter it? Should I bring it inside the house (too hot?) or out in the boiler shed? I don't want to kill it as it's a pretty lovely and useful plant. My lemon balm looks pretty great too.
Same advice for my white lavendar and red maple please.
The mint can stay outside as it's one of the things that would survive a nuclear war! grin

VoodooCat Fri 27-Oct-17 13:44:27

Bumping

handslikecowstits Fri 27-Oct-17 16:43:57

Do not bring it inside the house. Citrus plants do not do well as houseplants. I bought my mum a lovely orange tree and despite my advice, she killed it with kindness over winter. Gardener's World was talking about bringing citrus plants in for winter only last week.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052qx7d

More advice www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/citrus

Lavender - depends on the species. If it's a stoechas (french lavender) which is characterised by fat flowerheads like these: media-live.gardeningexpress.co.uk/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/A/4AECC18119E047F642E1AEDF39AE2266.jpg then you should bring it into a cold greenhouse or somewhere outside which is sheltered from the worst of the weather e.g. a coldframe. If however you have English Lavender which looks like this: media-live.gardeningexpress.co.uk/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/a/lavender-hidcote-blue-pot-750x750_1_1_1.jpg then it should be fine outside provided it has good drainage. Lavenders won't sit in water.

VoodooCat Sat 28-Oct-17 19:48:01

Brilliant. I shall put them in the barn, sheltered but cold . Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now