Talk

Advanced search

Colourful ground cover

(8 Posts)
Petrichery Thu 26-Oct-17 16:42:26

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me might have some suggestions -
I have a paved bit in front of my house, then a steeply sliped bit of grass (aprox 2 feet) down to the road. At the moment this grass is hiddeously overgrown because i hate using the strimmer it needs to keep it down, and its too small for a mower. It always looks scruffy and unkempt.
I'd like some tough ground cover plants with as much flowering season as possible that i can plant all over to make the front of my house look nice (and preferably colourful) permanently and keep the grass at bay. It is north facing, but quite light, and we seem to have quite a sandy soil.
Any suggestions, oh wise mners?

Petrichery Thu 26-Oct-17 16:44:03

*sigh sloped

ginjin Fri 27-Oct-17 08:32:20

What kind of sunlight does it get? (I know you said north facing, but my front is also north but not overlooked so still gets lots of sun)

I planted lots of creeping thyme at the beginning of this year and it's done a wonderful job of stopping anything else growing, and was nice and purple in the summer. Smells good too!

I also like aubretia which would like the sandy soil.

slimyslitheryslug Fri 27-Oct-17 08:41:36

Cotoneaster horizontalis. Grows like a weed, is covered in red berries or white flowers for at least 10mths of the year it seems, if it gets to large, you can just hack a bit of it off and the rest of it continues to grow. I love mine!

Petrichery Sun 19-Nov-17 08:17:42

I'm sorry - lofe got a bit hectic and i didn't come back to this thread. Thank you so much for your suggestions -
Slimy i've just looked that up and i already have one it seems, but it's more of a small shrub rather than ground cover? Or is that just a matter of pruning correctly?

Ginjin not particularly overlooked, but on a bend so hedges all around. Reasonable light, but not all day iyswim? Creeping thyme sounds perfect. Definitely getting some of that.

JT05 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:42:37

Lamium, dead nettle, is a small leaf ground cover plant. The leaves are often silvery green and the flowers can be white, yellow, pink or mauve. It quite likes shade, but really grows anywhere.
Not stinging.

OrangeFluff Wed 22-Nov-17 20:30:07

Agree with JT05, Lamium would be good. I have Lamium maculatum 'Beacon Silver' in some north facing areas of my garden, and it grows really well. It has silver leaves with green egdes, and has purple flowers early summer, although mine tends to keep flowering most of the year (it is still flowing now even after some frosts). It is also evergreen.

I always thought thyme needed lots of sun, but I could be wrong!

astonished19 Thu 23-Nov-17 23:33:28

Blanket flower (gaillardia) is a drought- and heat-tolerant perennial wildflower that provides long-lasting color in a sunny border with poor soil. In red, gold, or brown, its daisy-like, 3-inch wide, single or double perennial flowers bloom through the summer and into the fall. Although often short-lived, it is easy to grow and will flower the first year from seed. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now