Talk

Advanced search

Memorial plant for cats

(8 Posts)
liviadrusilla Mon 23-Oct-17 20:46:43

Slightly odd, sad topic - would be grateful for help.

Unfortunately two of my cats have passed away in the last couple of years sad . We have been left with ashes of each of them and would like to put them in two plant pots (in their biodegradable caskets) and grow memorial plants for them (as we may move from this house in the next few years and would like to take them with us.) We want them to be beautiful plants which are likely to do well as it would be so upsetting if the plants died. They also shouldn't be toxic to cats (we still have one and hope to get another at some point). I thought of something like a camellia as I have one in a pot doing well, but wondered whether anyone had any ideas for a suitable plant? Many thanks for any help.

LilyPondFrog Mon 23-Oct-17 20:49:20

I don't have any knowledge of plants, but just want to say that I think that's such a lovely idea OP, and I'm so sorry for your lossflowers

MrsBertBibby Tue 24-Oct-17 08:56:05

What would the conditions be? Full sun? Shady?

liviadrusilla Tue 24-Oct-17 17:54:34

Thank you so much LilyPondFrog, that's so nice of you to say.

MrsBertBibby - I'd probably keep them on our decking or patio, so it would be in sun for part of the day and shaded for part of the day.

theicemaidenismelting Tue 24-Oct-17 18:03:02

We buried the ashes of our lovely Lulu cat under her favourite plant - catmint - Nepeta.When it flowers in the spring I always think of her rolling around in it happily. And it will flower again if you deadhead it regularly. It will be fine in a pot but it dies off in the winter so won't look much then.

MrsBertBibby Tue 24-Oct-17 19:01:35

I'm a sucker for a fuchsia, maybe a lovely standard one like this (make sure it's a hardy variety)

www.google.co.uk/search?q=standard+fuchsia&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji5r2o64nXAhVpBsAKHfcNDWMQ_AUICygC&biw=800&bih=1280&dpr=1.5#imgrc=tY1a_BOGZaiYXM:

liviadrusilla Tue 24-Oct-17 21:29:32

These are some lovely ideas - thank you! Catmint because Lulu liked it is a really sweet tribute - I love the idea and that my other cat might then visit it though I'm slightly worried she might destroy it! Thinking it over it might be nice to do two versions of a plant so there is a theme but they are distinct for remembering two v individual cats! We have some fuschias in the garden doing fairly well so that might be a nice one to try.

I don't want to be macabre but do I need to consider whether the ashes will affect the plants?

MrsBertBibby Wed 25-Oct-17 00:27:46

I've seen stuff suggesting it might be a problem but that may be a sales pitch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: