Talk

Advanced search

Plants for Christmas Gifts

(7 Posts)
SpiritedLondon Sat 21-Oct-17 09:17:08

Sorry to introduce the C word into the thread but as a completely hapless gardener and all round plant killer I would like some advice of plants for presents that DD5 could give ( with some sort of involvement by DD herself and not just bought). I have just bought a great book called "101 Things for Kids to do outside "which has the suggestion of taking cuttings from plants. In the book they use a rosemary plants which I happen to have. I did think that my DD could decorate a pot and we could give something like that for teacher gifts etc but I'm doubtful that it will grow very much for Christmas and maybe it's a better idea for spring / summer ? I know that I could give bulbs but I not sure what I could go for other than hyacinths and what other nice plants people have given or received that have been successful? ( we do have a big garden but don't know about plants and I would like to learn).

Harebellmeadow Sat 21-Oct-17 17:20:57

Nobody has written yet, so I will. I am planning something similar, either forcing bulbs (almost any I think) in the freezer to mimic a cold spell, they can be put into a pot and will emerge. Look up "forcing bulbs". Alternatively, and much easier, but paper whites, read how long they take ( 6-8 weeks) and plant accordingly. Paper whites do not need a cold spell and apparently are very fragrant and cheering. Cover the edges of the pot with spare moss (not too much, the birds need some in spring).

I have made a larger pot containing crocus, narcissus (bridal crown) and wild tulips. Drainage balls at the bottom and a nice layer of IKEA vermiculite at the top. Gave as a present to a friend and told her they will sprout in spring. I planted a frost tolerant sedum in the middle of a pot.

No matter what, it will be lovely and bring cheer. Have fun and would love to hear know what you make.

Harebellmeadow Sun 22-Oct-17 07:49:19

buy paperwhites
Sorry, typo.

SpiritedLondon Mon 23-Oct-17 08:00:28

Thanks Harebell the Paperwhites look lovely - if they're fragrant too than great ( some modern flowers are so disappointing in the fragrance department). I don't tend towards flowers indoors other than an orchid that I've managed not to kill that blooms for months despite my neglect. I shall try and find some lovely pots or put my DD to work decorating. I've just re-potted some Aloe "pups" in an attempt to generate some new plants but I'm doubtful it will work - I'm guessing the little stones in the compost that it came in were vermiculite? (Which I had to google) What I need is a grandad who can help me with this because I want to learn - but am time poor. Thanks anyway... I'm sure your own display will be lovely.

Twirlstwirlstwirls Mon 23-Oct-17 08:11:41

The rosemary will grow but will take ages to become established. I've had success in the past but you need patience (Closer to years than weeks!!)

In a pot (about 6/8cm diameter) plant 3 or 4 small clippings of rosemary round the edges. Water regularly but don't over do it.

A selection of herbs would be a lovely gift though & a nice change for teachers I'm sure.

SpiritedLondon Mon 23-Oct-17 14:33:13

Thanks twirls I would find it a charming gift but I'm not sure whether these things are ever appreciated by others. Last year I baked Christmas biscuits and found some lovely jars but of course im not certain how it went down. I love anything a little bit home spun but generally don't get given anything like that.... I'm going go and check out the options for herbs.

Twirlstwirlstwirls Tue 24-Oct-17 12:42:30

Do it anyway! Cuddly bears and mugs with 'No. 1 teacher' written on them aren't always appreciated by people either. It's a gesture, not an engagement ring! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now