Talk

Advanced search

What's this plant?

(13 Posts)
repetitionrepetition Wed 18-Oct-17 10:05:17

Hi gardeners. can anyone please ID this? the internet reckons st. john’s wort. i’ve got a crawler.. shall i get rid? Thank you!

PanannyPanoo Wed 18-Oct-17 10:07:36

looks like honey suckle to me.

MrsLettuce Wed 18-Oct-17 10:07:57

It's a Honeysuckle, probably one on the ones with mainly pink flowers.

MrsLettuce Wed 18-Oct-17 10:10:05

Like this

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 18-Oct-17 10:27:01

No, it isn't honeysuckle. It is a Hypericum but not the wild st john's wort, yours has larger flowers and spreads, it can be quite invasive but makes pretty ground cover.

Is it a new garden OP? There is quite a lot growing in that border, possibly some ground elder which is very invasive and difficult to get rid of. Maybe the hypericum was planted to cover it up.

abigailgabble Wed 18-Oct-17 10:30:56

Hi all, thank you. I really can’t see the honeysuckle tbh but I’m no gardener blush

@MissWilmottsGhost yes it’s a new (to me!) garden. It looks just like the SJW I’ve found online. Should I remove both? I’m mainly worried about my baby putting things in his mouth (house is a rent - thankfully in this case!)

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 18-Oct-17 10:31:39

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZVUOLDDhx93YY75D9kO4hE4RFmVPFTgrBRxQbhW1D4AGzGlJP

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 18-Oct-17 10:36:26

Berries are poisonous so might be best to chop it all back if you have a crawling baby.

At this time of year you might be best to chop it all back, mulch it with compost or bark to make it tidy, and see what comes up in the spring.

abigailgabble Wed 18-Oct-17 10:38:56

@MissWilmottsGhost yes I think you are right. It’s a bit of a mess! Typical unloved rental garden.

WelshPooch Wed 18-Oct-17 10:43:32

Think it's a Rose of Sharon (Hypericum) - if so, it spreads like wildfire and pops up all over the garden

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 18-Oct-17 10:49:20

You have some sedums, which are nice. The grassy thing might be a sedge?

I can't zoom in on the picture on my phone, do you have any other pics?

Tretchikoff Wed 18-Oct-17 11:12:25

Def St Johns Wort smile

Silverthorn Wed 18-Oct-17 11:17:42

I chopped the berries off any bushes when my kids were at the stage of putting things in their mouths.
But, looks like St Johns wort to me, which i would get rid of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now