Talk

Advanced search

All year round plant for front garden pots

(7 Posts)
GerrytheBerry Tue 17-Oct-17 14:45:21

We have just had our drive and front garden spruced up but we are left with two big (half barrell) pots with nothing interesting in them
They did have something that flowered last year but did nothing this year and as I am not greenfingered in the slightest I have no idea what to put in now?
I was thinking of something that would be nice to look at all year round perhaps a bush of some sort?
Can anyone suggest anything please?

CondimentQueen Tue 17-Oct-17 14:46:59

Following!

WellTidy Tue 17-Oct-17 14:49:47

Look for evergreens, or, even better, flowering evergreens.

Escallonia Pink Elle might be god it stays smallish, flowers in spring.

MrsBertBibby Thu 19-Oct-17 00:52:40

How about a nice hebe? They have pretty flowers, and are evergreen. Lots of different kinds to pick from

teaandtoast Thu 19-Oct-17 01:07:47

Is it shady or sunny?

If shady, I'd go with Skimmia japonica 'Rubella' in one and Skimmia japonica 'Nymans' in the other. Both evergreen, prefer a slightly acidic soil.
'Rubella' is male, will bud late winter and flower in spring. Lots of flowers. 'Nymans' is female, flowers in a similar pattern to the male (not so many flowers) and has bright red berries in the autumn (if there's a male nearby).

Young plants aren't likely to be massive so you could add a few bedding plants in the summer.

Ferguson2 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:09:09

I always like Heuchera, have wide range of leaf colours, and usually tiny flowers on long stems:

www.heucheraholics.co.uk/

Also fuchsias have a vast range of flower colours, and are easy to propagate, but they will need looking after during the winter:

www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk/index.htm

GerrytheBerry Thu 19-Oct-17 20:37:29

Thank you I am heading to the garden centre this weekend with this list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now