Talk

Advanced search

Tulip planter advice

(5 Posts)
Ekphrasis Sun 15-Oct-17 08:55:34

I have the tapestry Sarah raven set - I’m trying to work out if it’s better to put them in a planter. However, I’d like the planter to continue with other things after the tulips. What could be my options? Seeds sown when bulbs are flowering or other bulbs? Any suggestions?

WidowWadman Sun 15-Oct-17 08:59:30

We've just done a few winter pots - bulbs in the bottom to break through in spring, and cyclamen, ivy and similar on top.

CrabappleCake Sun 15-Oct-17 08:59:55

Sarah raven has good advice www.sarahraven.com/articles/layering_bulbs_-_how_to_make_a_bulb_lasagne.htm

ErrolTheDragon Sun 15-Oct-17 09:19:11

I do 'lasagnes' - tulips, narcissi, muscari and/ or iris reticulata, crocus. I usually put some violas or cyclamen on top.

In borders, tulips are often paired with wallflowers or forget-me-nots. I think the latter would look nice in planters too, but the timing is wrong for growing from seed.

Ekphrasis Sun 15-Oct-17 15:15:53

Thank you, I’ve decided against a lasagna as I may have a baby in May and won’t be up for sorting out bulbs. I’m thinking of planting in the border and then doing seed as they start to grow back; dark cosmos and calendula. Or something! Possibly sweet peas except I’ll be planting them now too so can’t quite see how that’ll look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now