Talk

Advanced search

What is a garden

(5 Posts)
abigailgabble Thu 12-Oct-17 14:46:38

We’ve just moved into our first house with a garden! And stairs!! <beams> but..... wtf do I do with a garden! It’s got lots of mysterious plants and bushes and a lawn. MIL has given us soon equipment. No idea! What’s on the agenda for this time of year?

JT05 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:24:08

Apart from clearing fallen leaves and maybe a late mowing of the lawn, I’d wait until after the spring to see what is already there.
In the meantime invest in a few gardening books, Alan Titchmarsh does some basic ones, enjoy the winter planning what to grow!

SpinDry Thu 12-Oct-17 16:31:11

Watch Gardeners World! When we bought our house last year we had no idea what to do with your garden, it was literally just a raggedy lawn and overgrown hedges. We started watching Gardeners World every week and got loads of inspiration and now we have a subtropical paradise.... well its getting there! There are always lots of stories about gardens from scratch and how to plan. Well worth a watch. Also Ground Force repeats at 6pm 6pm Home channel.

abigailgabble Thu 12-Oct-17 21:54:29

TELLY ! great idea. ok so glad to know there is nothing pressing... i feel such responsibility towards my garden!!

Pithivier Fri 13-Oct-17 09:20:33

The gardening threads on here are really friendly and full of knowledgable people. Lots of new gardeners post photo asking what the plants in the garden are called and how to care for them.

There really is no need to do anything just yet. In the spring, there may be lots of bulbs under your plants ready to burst into flower. My advice is, 'Don't be afraid to dig up and dispose of anything you dislike'. I love a new garden thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: