Talk

Advanced search

Help with Hebes

(6 Posts)
katymac Tue 10-Oct-17 16:41:49

I have an enormous hebe (about 3 ft tall and 2ft round) in a pot - I want to transplant it into the ground - how should I prepare the soil? & can I do it in the next few weeks or should I wait until spring?

JoJoSM2 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:04:17

I’m not an expert but we’ve got some hebes doing very well in our front garden. When we were planting, I think we just used some compost and bonemeal and watered a lot. I think now should be a good time to plant.

katymac Tue 10-Oct-17 19:59:08

Fingers crossed - I'd hate to lose it

But it's a bit big for the pot now

bookbook Tue 10-Oct-17 22:55:37

It should be fine to move out of the pot now - the ground is still warm
Try to dig a hole a little bigger than the pot. Add some bonemeal or blood fish and bone in the bottom of the hole, so the roots have something to grow in. Use compost to finish filling up the gaps. If the roots are solid in the pot ( they tend to go round and round) loosen them so fresh roots can develop. And yes - a good soak . smile

sukitea Sat 14-Oct-17 23:57:27

While we're on the topic of hebes, I planted one last year that has doubled in size but never flowered. Don't know its name but ITF is supposed to have purple 'bottle brush' type flowers. Any idea what has gone wrong?

katymac Sun 15-Oct-17 19:21:21

Eek I don't sukitea I am a gardening numpty

Thanks Bookbook & JoJo - fingers crossed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now