Talk

Advanced search

Can I move established lavender plants?

(8 Posts)
katymac Fri 06-Oct-17 09:15:53

& how should I prepare the soul where they are going to?

Would it be OK to put gravel over the soil to make it look nice?

And would hebes grown inbetween them or do they need really different soil?

Tia

Apileofballyhoo Fri 06-Oct-17 12:07:12

Lavender needs to be really really well drained. It was on Gardener's World a couple of months ago - it was a layer of hardcore followed by a layer of gravel followed by soil with horticultural grit in it afair.

emma1282 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:38:44

Moving a grown up lavender is easy, but you need to allow two weeks to settle down after you move. Firstly, dig the hold for planting the lavender and make sure that the hole is twice the size of the plant. Then mix it up with the necessary amendments. Then plant the lavender. Wait for 2 to 3 weeks to settle.

katymac Sat 07-Oct-17 08:05:19

OK thanks for your help smile I have more questions....

So if I dig a big hole for each should I maybe put some gravel at the bottom before I put the lavender in? WIll it need fertilizer? if so what sort?

I'm guessing the hebe won't need gravel but will they need anything special?

Apileofballyhoo Sat 07-Oct-17 12:22:43

www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/how-to-create-a-lavender-garden/

Apileofballyhoo Sat 07-Oct-17 12:23:41

There's a video there. Not sure about the pruning this time of year, you might want to look that up before cutting them back.

MrsGotobed Sat 07-Oct-17 12:29:54

I'm not a gardener by any means but I would say lavender is pretty resilient and would survive a move, just make sure drainage is good.
It's the only plant I've ever grown from cuttings I've taken so it must be pretty forgiving!!

katymac Sat 07-Oct-17 21:58:58

Sounds good

I'll look at that video too

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now