Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garden on a hill

(10 Posts)
banannabreadforme Thu 05-Oct-17 14:29:34

Hi ladies
Just looked at a property to buy which was lovely, the garden is on a hill and is slanted. We have 2 small children, would this be a terrible idea? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

midsummabreak Thu 05-Oct-17 14:35:48

Is it a big hill with lawn ? Difficult to mow? I have fond memories as a child rolling down the hill at local park

banannabreadforme Thu 05-Oct-17 15:27:13

It's not very steep, you could mow it without problem. Toys and balls would roll away when left though

washingmachinefastwash Thu 05-Oct-17 15:37:12

That would put me off a house.

Can you get it flattened out?

Rollercoaster1920 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:50:54

You can terrace. But then you get steps for children to fall off. Depends how much slope there is too. We have 3/4 foot drop in one corner which I'd like to level out. Will require a single terrace so not too bad. A previous house was like a pixie trail to a tin mine. Not child friendly, but I loved it when I was 5!

banannabreadforme Thu 05-Oct-17 18:00:03

I think it would have to be built up rather than flattened out

Rollercoaster1920 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:56:58

I think you'd have to dig down by the patio wall, if foundation is deep enough. would need a retaining wall by your fence too. You can't really raise height much by fences with neighbours.

SerendipityFelix Thu 05-Oct-17 23:20:15

I think that has a lot of potential, children aren’t small forever. You could keep some of it as that gorgeous grassy slope, perhaps level off a bit of lawn at the top near the decking so there is some flat grass for playing, and then down the other side create a series of terraces - some for planting, some sunken seating or a ‘hidden’ play area (sink a trampoline in, or sand box etc). Looks like the deck at the top could be a nice seating/decking area?

Is that your front door in the left of the top photo, so that fence is between your ‘front’ and ‘back gardens? What is the level like the other side?

If you’re into gardening/design I think it’s a lovely opportunity - if you just want an easy play space then maybe not so much.

banannabreadforme Fri 06-Oct-17 07:53:09

Thank you everyone smile

JoJoSM2 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:40:30

I like Serendipity’s ideas. I think that gardens with changes in levels are a lot more exciting than flat ones. More opportunities for imaginative play for children too. The only consideration would be having a bit of budget as it isn’t very cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now