Talk

Advanced search

What screening plant do I need?

(5 Posts)
SpearmintTea Wed 04-Oct-17 12:59:56

We need something to replace the ugly and out of control conifers by our northish facing driveway. Not privet, nothing with roots that might cause the drive to crack, and that won't grow more than a couple of metres tall. What sort of plants would work well and could I plant them now or would I need to wait til spring?

JoJoSM2 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:48:58

Autumn and winter are ideal for planting + you can get rootballed plants which are a bit cheaper.

One thing to bear in mind is that you might need to wait between removing the conifers and planting new plants. When our conifers were removed, the tree surgeon suggested waiting a few months(?) before planting.

I'm not sure about specific plants but a hedge with preached trees above looks gorgeous without being too oppressive.

TheTeaFairy Thu 05-Oct-17 06:12:32

Bumping for pretty screening plants 💐

SpearmintTea Fri 06-Oct-17 14:04:38

I'm considering bamboo. We saw some beautiful varieties this summer, black and red.

SpearmintTea Fri 06-Oct-17 14:06:10

Our tree surgeon thought there'd be no problem planting straight away. Although we do need to spend a couple of weekends tidying it up first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: