Talk

Advanced search

North facing planters?

(8 Posts)
amelie427 Thu 28-Sep-17 12:43:02

Total novice here...

We've a lovely planter which looks great next to our front door... problem is, we can't seem to keep anything alive in it!

It's north facing, dry and shady... surely there must be something? We'd love something that would flower, but might that be too much to ask?

Would hydrangeas do the trick? Can't face buying and killing any more plants...!

JoJoSM2 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:06:59

I've planted some hellebores for the winter and matched them up with mini ivy and other plant (not sure of the name). Depending on the style, ferns or hostas could be a nice background to some flowers. However, do you water and fertilise regularly? It's a bit weird that the plants have struggled so far.

amelie427 Fri 29-Sep-17 09:14:04

Thanks JoJo - I'm probably not as good with watering and fertilising as I should be blush

JoJoSM2 Fri 29-Sep-17 10:29:03

That might be a bit of a problem lol I water mine once or twice a week, fertilise about once a month and change the soil and plants 2-3 times a year.

charlestonchaplin Sat 30-Sep-17 13:49:00

Some hellebores are good in pots but some, especially helleborus hybridus/orientalis are apparently not, due to the vast root systems they develop.

I'm still quite a novice gardener, but a few things I'm planning to try for a shady North-facing terrace are lily of the valley, lamprocanos spectabilis (bleeding heart), snowdrops and hostas (already mentioned). Heucheras, cyclamen coum and some daffodil and crocus species are also good for shade.

amelie427 Sat 30-Sep-17 14:01:30

Thank you! smile

MyAngels Wed 04-Oct-17 12:50:44

I have a similar problem, but in my back garden patio by the house which is north facing.
Although its too late for you now, for summer I have had massive success with begonias (flower beautifully, never need deadheading) and New Guinea Impatiens and trailing lobelia (flower continuously).

For the rest of the year, my camellia and hydrangea (in pots) have done pretty well in full shade, and I'd agree with Heucheras, cyclamen and hardy fuschias might be worth a go too.

I do have to agree that watering and regular feeding (at least monthly) makes a huge difference to how they thrive.

amelie427 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:23:18

Thank you MyAngels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now