Talk

Advanced search

Really cheap trees?

(14 Posts)
RoganJosh Sat 23-Sep-17 07:51:00

I'm hoping to get a few trees planted in our new garden, but have hardly any budget. Anyone got any ideas on the cheapest way to do it? I'm thinking getting bare roots over winter, but not sure where would be cheapest to get them from.
Or wait till spring and hope Aldi do some?

MothratheMighty Sat 23-Sep-17 08:05:38

What sort of trees? Native species or ornamental?

AlternativeTentacle Sat 23-Sep-17 08:07:45

Thing is, cheap trees often bring in disease. And aldi trees often aren't what the label says.

RoganJosh Sat 23-Sep-17 08:21:53

Oh that doesn't sound good about disease and Aldi.

My shortlist is

Silver birch
Black cherry plum
Amelanchier
Pyrus callegrana

Also shrubs
Portuguese laurel
Strawberry bush and some others

KarateKitten Sat 23-Sep-17 08:25:14

Just buy them small. They are cheap as chips and grow much faster than big ones. Big ones are slow growing for the first years as they don't take the stress of being moved and planted well so just buy little ones you can afford, plant them and have a little patience.

Ifailed Sat 23-Sep-17 08:27:34

Some nurseries have clear out-sales at the end of each season, maybe wait and see if you can pick up some bargains? Silver birch can be grown from seed, and get quite big quickly, maybe try sowing some?

RoganJosh Sat 23-Sep-17 08:27:39

Yeah, I was thinking that about small trees, just wondered how to get them most cheaply.

KarateKitten Sat 23-Sep-17 08:28:42

Take clippings for free, if you're willingly to go really small to start!

Pithivier Sat 23-Sep-17 09:30:00

I have bought lots of trees this year, ranging from £4 up to £300 each. pricing is interesting. I bought 4 silver birch in different sizes. I bought 2 from the same supply a smaller one for £39 and taller for £65. They are both almost the same height now, but the more expensive one has turned silver but the thinner one probably won't turn this season. I bought another 2 Silver Birch from Wilko for £4 each . Both are doing really well.

For a really good bargain Telegraph Garden has three Amelanchier in 9cm pots. I bought these last year and they seemed too small a pot for the tree. They are now 4 feet and doing really well. They are planted alongside my 15feet Amelanchier which were expensive, but form the main feature of my garden.

Another Good tree is Robinia Frisia or Robinia Rouge Cardinal. They are year round value because of their colour, leaf shape and twisty branches when bare.

Cherry trees can also be reasonably priced and can provide blossom I. Spring and some in Autumn. My other favourites Prunus Serelia, Acer Sango Kaku, Coteneaster,

Good suppliers Crocus, first class and offer guarantee, Ahridge Trees and Hilliard. Once I avoid from experience Parkers, Primrose,T&M.

Sorry for the essay.

Pithivier Sat 23-Sep-17 09:31:12

Ash ridge trees I mean

Pithivier Sat 23-Sep-17 09:35:39

My typing is pants, so best suppliers for reasonable price and guarantees
Crocus
Ashridge
Hilliers
Telegraph Garden Shop.

It is also worth looking at Barcham Trees website. Although they are way above your budget, the information they have on trees is amazing. The site is easy to navigate so I would use them to make a short list of what you want.

And now the essay has turned into a novel.

RoganJosh Sat 23-Sep-17 11:41:04

That's really helpful. Thank you!

Oldie2017 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:36:54

We seem to have about 104 small silver birch all over the patio area the big silver birch drops on to! I pull a 3 cm one out almost every day! They are my weeds.

MrsBertBibby Sun 24-Sep-17 19:23:16

I've got some titchy oak trees you could have, courtesy of the squirrels.

Also a 2 year old sequoia in a pot, grown from seed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now