Talk

Advanced search

Wisteria - please advise me !

(8 Posts)
Excusemyfrench Thu 21-Sep-17 13:18:06

Hello!

Ive just bought my first home and have always dreamt about having wisteria on my house.

So now its autumn and time to plant it, Ive been reading about it and Im worried. At first i was concerned about the plant itself, damaging the house and the gutters, but I can keep on top of that by pruning it and guiding it on the wall. ( I hope? Correct me if Im wrong please!)

But my main concern now are the roots! I read they can completely destroy the plumbing of the house. What!? Really?

Why do I see beautiful wisteria against the walls of big beautiful houses everywhere but it seems like everything I read online is advising me against planting it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hemlock2013 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:23:58

I have some against a garden wall not against the house so I can't advise on roots affecting plumbing etc. But in my experience it needs heavy pruning in autumn to keep it at bay and encourage flowers. And I prune throughout summer too as it's crazy!

Is there another place for it maybe? Not against the house but somewhere else you could enjoy it?

Someone else will be along to advise properly I'm sure x

Silverthorn Thu 21-Sep-17 13:33:48

I've planted some along my fence to train toward the house. New neighbour has a 3yo one which has gone crazy this summer. I might mention pruning to her.
Can you plant further from the house or in a massive pot?

Phillipa12 Thu 21-Sep-17 13:34:40

How about something like this, mine was all over a pergola and i chopped 60% of it down and made it more tree like, its so beautiful but does need keeping in check. Mine has grown round the supports which have now become part of it.

Excusemyfrench Thu 21-Sep-17 13:35:36

I cant really have it against any other wall than the house as we dont have any other fence, if you see what I mean.

I just remembered I have another question regarding sunlight. The areas id like to put it on dont get a ton of sunlight. I was going to get the Chinese wisteria not the Japanese, will that matter a lot?

Excusemyfrench Thu 21-Sep-17 13:37:19

@Silverthorn in a pot really? Wont it limit it considerably? I know thats the point but i wont get many flowers will I?

@Phillipa12 my garden is way too small for that unfortunately, yours looks lovely !

Wingedharpy Sat 23-Sep-17 01:29:43

We have recently removed one which was more than 30 years old from the wall of our house.
We were very sad to lose it but other ground work meant it wasn't really an option.
It was planted (not by us) very near to a main sewer pipe and there was no evidence at all of any damage to the pipe.
According to Monty Don and the BBC gardeners world folk, and our own experience, they are surprisingly quite shallow rooted plants considering the size they grow to. The theory seems to be that because they are climbers and cling on to whatever you give them to support them they don't need very deep roots to hold them up.
Ours was Chinese Wisteria and was on a North facing wall but in a sheltered spot.
They can take a little while to settle before they flower but are very lovely.
It will need some sort of framework to support it and regular pruning to stop it from growing over the roof but if you want one, have one.
They are very lovely plants.

AndromedaPerseus Fri 06-Oct-17 22:51:31

Buy one that's already in flower in April/May otherwise it might take up to 7 years to flower. I think the Chinese one is also scented with larger flowers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: