Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is this plant?

(9 Posts)
BlueKarou Fri 30-Jun-17 23:17:32

Every year I watch this plant produce these magnificent flowers, and wonder what it is. Anyone any ideas?

The burgundy bits are fairly sturdy and the white bits are more petal-like. It's pretty big, taller than hip height. Planted in a large bed, not shaded position.

OdinsLoveChild Fri 30-Jun-17 23:24:24

Acanthus I think but I've only ever seen white ones near me. Theyre Mediterranean plants and like it fairly warm. Yours is lovely.

Guiltypleasures001 Fri 30-Jun-17 23:37:18

Bears britches or acanthus dh says

FinnegansCake Fri 30-Jun-17 23:48:59

Yes, looks like an acanthus. I have several as they keep springing up in odd places - when the seed pods pop, they shoot out a long way.
I live in a hot climate, mine are in flower at the moment but will soon die down. The leaves wilt quickly in the heat.

whitehandledkitchenknife Fri 30-Jun-17 23:53:58

Definitely acanthus. We had a rogue one self seed a couple of years ago and it's quietly spreading itselfgrin

elephantoverthehill Fri 30-Jun-17 23:56:54

I popped on this thread as I thought I could recognise the plant, but no. However you do seem to have a bad case of rugby posts in your garden. I am not sure of the solution.

BlueKarou Sat 01-Jul-17 00:24:36

Thanks very much all! Great plant identification skills.

Not my garden, unfortunately, but in the grounds at work. And not badly placed rugby goal but two flagpoles. We do have a very run down tennis court though (totally outing myself to any colleagues.)

I'm half tempted to try and harvest some seeds from it when the flowers are done.

MattBerrysHair Sat 01-Jul-17 08:44:56

Acanthus spinosa. It's very prickly (there is a softer version, Acanthus mollis). Think carefully about where you put it as it's very vigorous and is a bastard to move as it'll keep on reappearing even though you think you've dug the whole thing out!

PurpleWithRed Sat 01-Jul-17 08:56:01

Don't bother with seed, just sneak up on it in the autumn and dig out a slice (root and growing point). Chop off all the leaves, pop it in a good hole with organic matter and a very light bit of feed, give it a water and stand well back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now