Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garden furniture that isn't attractive to spiders

(9 Posts)
dementedDementor Sat 24-Jun-17 18:05:58

Is there such a thing?

I have been putting off getting any garden furniture for years because of my fear but want to get some now as DC are older and want to spend more time in the garden as a family and be able to eat outdoors and so on.

Is there a style of garden furniture that is less appealing to them? I tried searching online but was met with a bunch of images of the things so I quickly closed the page.

I'm guessing nothing would be completely safe, but maybe there's a material they are less likely to make a home in?

echt Sun 25-Jun-17 07:23:54

I get no spiders on teak and oak furniture now I think of it.

RoganJosh Sun 25-Jun-17 07:25:52

Is it mostly fabric you've had a problem with before? I'm thinking metal and wood should be fine.

echt Sun 25-Jun-17 07:28:36

I get shitloads of spiders on metal. I live in Australia and have four outdoor settings of varying construction, so will inspect. It's winter now, so they're lying low.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sun 25-Jun-17 07:35:42

I've got a metal set and wooden benches both get spiders

I don't think they have preferences, just live where they fancy

dementedDementor Tue 27-Jun-17 12:24:17

Sorry to be late back to the thread.

Is it mostly fabric you've had a problem with before?

I have never owned any garden furniture because one of my worst nightmares is sitting down on it and discovering it's crawling! I didn't actually step a foot into my garden for two years because I thought a spider might jump at me! I have improved quite a lot since then!

I don't think they have preferences, just live where they fancy.

That's what I thought. Based on echts post I think I'll go for teak or oak anyway and hope for the best!

I actually enjoy gardening now, in my very basic, beginners way. I'm quite looking forward to having somewhere to sit down outside, hopefully spider free. Maybe I can spray all the furniture with some sort of off-putting smell. I'm sure I've read that spiders dislike the smell of vinegar and of peppermint so maybe I'll mix up a concoction of those two.

GingerKitCat Wed 28-Jun-17 12:05:08

I'd go with teak too. Maybe the oil helps repel them.

Shuddering to think of the varieties that might come your way echt!

OP there are various spider sprays available but this DIY solution looks good. You could get the kids to give the furniture legs and any crevices a quick blast before you come out. It seems quite mild any shouldn't damage your furniture.

www.google.co.uk/amp/m.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home%3Famp%3D1

Gardening has built up my tolerance to spiders I'd say, hopefully the same happens for you smile I still don't love them but it's fascinating to see them at work in the garden, catching pests and so on. I'm not crazy about the garden in the autumn when they spin those great big webs. Keep a long stick handy as you're walking around, saves accidental web/face hideousness grin

ajandjjmum Wed 28-Jun-17 12:13:26

Put some conkers on there - we have seen a reduction in spiders since using them. I renew every year.

You can also get chestnut spray to keep spiders away - whether that would work outdoors, I don't know.

Good for you for trying to get over it though - I know from my fear (snakes) - it's not easy to do!

justtheonethen Wed 28-Jun-17 12:42:28

Hugely scared of spiders too. I used to make DH check chairs before I sat on them blush. I don't get any on the teak furniture I have. Maybe it's the oil?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now