Talk

Advanced search

Growing fig trees advice

(18 Posts)
Deux Thu 22-Jun-17 23:12:36

I have a space in a border that I'm looking to fill with either a small tree or shrub.

I went to our nearest car boot sale last weekend and the plant stall had some great offerings, one of which was fig trees. They looked like they were standard figs if that's relevant.

I was really tempted but wasn't sure how it'd grow. We are in Surrey and the border faces south so lots of sun. Soil is clay.

Anyone got one? How do you look after it? I realise they may not have any when I go back but I do love the leaf of the fig so might be tempted next time if they have any.

paradoxicalInterruption Fri 23-Jun-17 08:12:27

I'm in north west and have a lively fig tree in a pot on a sheltered spot near the. House. Lots of figs this year.

They like having their roots constrained, so either a container so you could put more friendly soil in or put slabs in the ground to make a container. You could put a bit of grit in the planting hole to help drainage.

Love the shape. Of the leaves.

JT05 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:24:00

In the past I've grown one SW facing, in a pot, up against a wall. It did well and like free draining soil.
I've just planted one, west facing, against the fence, in poorish soil. It has started making small figs. The variety you have is likely to be Brown Turkey, as it's the most common.
They are a lovely addition to a garden and are quite tolerant, in Mediterranean countries they grow in the poorest soils, sometimes out of walls!

Deux Fri 23-Jun-17 09:30:48

Thanks for the feedback. I think i might go early on Sunday to the car boot and see if they have any.

I didn't know that about the roots. I was really wanting it in the border so maybe if I sink a giant pot though right now I feel lightheaded at the mere thought of digging such a large hole in this heat.

smile

JT05 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:35:05

Don't dig a big hole, a large pot will not constrain the roots. If the plants are about 60 cms tall the pot/ hole needs to be no more than 30 cms wide and deep. If in a pot, you can repot as it grows.

paradoxicalInterruption Fri 23-Jun-17 09:38:18

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/figs

Gives advice on lining the hole with slabs. I think sinking a hole container might lead to drainage problems.

If you plant without containing the roots you'll get a magnificent tree but not as much fruit.

Boopboopboop Fri 23-Jun-17 09:40:54

Sorry slightly off topic, does anyone know can you grow fig trees from a cutting?

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 23-Jun-17 09:49:11

Boop I am! It's only a couple of years old, so no figs yet, but happily displaying its beautiful leaves in a 15cm pot in a SW-facing corner border. It's about 30-40 cm tall.

I don't know if its 'mother' was grafted or grown from seed, though. Time will tell. Its 'mother' gives fabulous figs.

Boopboopboop Fri 23-Jun-17 09:52:20

Ooh how do you do it? DH reckons I just need to stick it in the ground but surely it can't be that easy?!

echt Fri 23-Jun-17 10:28:11

Aren't you suppose to plant a fig tree in a Gladstone bag? I have one uselessly in my wardrobe that my DH bought for God knows what purpose.

Nickynackynoodle Fri 23-Jun-17 10:33:43

I dug in a half barrel and planted mine in there.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 23-Jun-17 11:25:22

Yes, it really is that easy!

Cut off a young branch that is growing out of an older branch. Trim off all the leaves and the growing tip. Push it into a firm pot of compost. Keep the pot outside in a fairly sheltered spot. If you do it now, they should take by the autumn. I left mine out all year. Take 3 or 4 cuttings, as you cannot guarantee which will take. They can all be spread out in the same big pot.

ACurlyWurly Fri 23-Jun-17 13:15:59

I was given a fig tree cutting last summer and it was about 6 inches tall.
it is growing in a (huge) pot and this year has 2 figs on it and it about 4 ft tall.
I have recently read that i should have removed the figs to encourage them to grow, but i am not sure if its too late for that now.
Seems so sad to take them off!
Any advice is appreciated

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 23-Jun-17 13:22:05

In hot countries figs have two harvests. In cold countries the second crop doesn't ripen, and you're advised to strip the tiny, hard, second crop fruits off after you have harvested the first crop.

At this time of year, I'd say your figs are first crop, so let them ripen!

ACurlyWurly Fri 23-Jun-17 21:26:10

How exciting. I hope something comes from it

Agoddessonamountaintop Sun 25-Jun-17 09:19:41

We have a beautiful, enormous fig in our front garden which sadly does not fruit! I haven't ever looked into it but assumed maybe it was one of those plants like holly that needs both sexes. But it looks like some chump planted wrong and there's nothing I can do about it!

Ohyesiam Sun 25-Jun-17 09:23:39

Restrict the roots with slabs sun into the ground. Then remove any figs for about 4 or 5 years to encourage growth
It's a loooong term gratification thing!

Agoddessonamountaintop Sun 25-Jun-17 14:10:04

Got to be worth it though - thanks*Ohyesiam*.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now