Talk

Advanced search

Ruined back garden.

(16 Posts)
Drybonesthatdream Wed 21-Jun-17 09:09:48

My DP has managed to knock gearbox oil all over our concreted backyard and it absolutely reeks. He has apparently 'swilled' the yard with water but we've just had torrential rain and it's still stinking - any suggestions on how to get rid of it? I was thinking good old fashioned domestos and boiling water but there is not words to describe the smell!

Nemesia Wed 21-Jun-17 09:14:32

If it is oil then you will need some kind of detergent to break it up. Water alone won't work.

LIZS Wed 21-Jun-17 09:22:29

Have you tried something like swarfega?

Drybonesthatdream Wed 21-Jun-17 09:30:08

I've never even heard of swarfega 😂 All I know is that the yard smells like something's been pissing in the bins and its absolutely vile 😷 I'm slightly over sensitive to smells at the moment and it's making me gag whenever I leave the house.

timtam23 Wed 21-Jun-17 10:44:34

Jeyes fluid would probably get rid of the oil, just be careful though if you or your neighbours have cats as it is very poisonous for cats

WindwardCircle Wed 21-Jun-17 10:49:27

Washing up liquid might break the oil up, I think it's what's used on major oil spills. I'd try putting some neat onto an area, rubbing it in with something like a scrubbing brush then swilling down with very hot water.

Drybonesthatdream Wed 21-Jun-17 11:07:03

I've had a go with fairy liquid and boiling water - slow process! It's starting to smell slightly better - thanks for the suggestions! Going to keep at it with the fairy liquid throughout the day!

Qwebec Thu 22-Jun-17 05:15:21

The thing that worked best when I had oil on concrete: cat litter. Cover the patch, come back a while later, vacuum, job done.

eggsandwich Thu 22-Jun-17 21:06:01

Now I know this sounds strange but when my Dh car leaked oil on the concrete floor of our garage I was told to pour a can of full fat coke on the area and brush it in and it will get rid of the oil, as the affected area was only small I didn't bother brushing it in, left it think it was only a couple of days and it was gone, bloody marvellous.

Drybonesthatdream Thu 22-Jun-17 22:14:06

eggsandwich oooh! I'll definitely give that a try! It absolutely bloody stinks and I'm absolutely sick trying to get rid of it - doesn't help that we're in a privately rented property!

thereallochnessmonster Thu 22-Jun-17 22:15:32

Hold on. If he spilled it, why the hell are you cleaning it? Get him to do it.

Drybonesthatdream Thu 22-Jun-17 22:46:07

nessy because he won't do it properly and the smell is apparently not bothering him whilst it's driving me up the wall. If I left him to his own devices our sitting room would look like a garage waiting area.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 22-Jun-17 22:47:59

Try orange juice with bits in. Seriously.

sodablackcurrant Thu 22-Jun-17 22:51:43

Imagine what that oj is doing to our insides if it works for this. OMG.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 22-Jun-17 22:52:43

If you don't want to do that, sprinkle bio washing powder over the oil soaked area.

Drybonesthatdream Fri 23-Jun-17 11:02:47

I'll give the washing powder a go as I don't have orange juice! Thanks for the tips x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now