Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poo on lawn!!

(17 Posts)
BusyBee2017 Tue 13-Jun-17 18:39:03

We have had two instances in our front garden on the lawn and now in the back garden. Think it's a fox.

Is there anything we can do to deter animals pooing on our grass?

BusyBee2017 Tue 13-Jun-17 21:25:17

Think it could be a cat

SofaToad Tue 13-Jun-17 22:09:35

Most likely to be a fox, they seem to poo anywhere, even on our front garden wall and drive as well as the lawn and graveled beds. I have seen the foxes, they sit under my kitchen window from time to time, and wander about. I don't mind them as they clean up corpses of birds and rats from under the neighbours shed.

However, fox poo really stinks, I usually put some compost on top of it which hides the poo and stops the smell (on the lawn obviously, not on the drive etc.). It can be shovelled up complete with poo or left to decompose. Anything you could use to discourage them would probably not be good for pets or children.

BusyBee2017 Thu 15-Jun-17 12:07:37

Thank you sofatoad that is very helpful. Yes I have a small child so will be hard to spray something

BusyBee2017 Tue 27-Jun-17 09:01:19

Saw a black cat last week chilling on the lawn!! Very freaky because it was turning dark and the cat was just staring at us for ages!

Think it's the cat that is m

BusyBee2017 Tue 27-Jun-17 09:01:33

Pooing

BenjaminLinus Tue 27-Jun-17 12:30:57

Could also be a hedgehog - they do surprisingly big poops, google it.

amousehaseatenmypaddlingpool Tue 27-Jun-17 12:33:21

Do you have a lot of pigeons around? Their poo is the size of a big grape and doesn't splat on grass.

Impossible to discourage them, short of buying a Kestrel grin

jamie2 Tue 27-Jun-17 12:35:54

Remove as soon as you see it as in my opinion the animal will come back to the same spot if it can smell it (a bit like a dog sniffing for other dog's urine on a tree and weeing in the same place

steppemum Tue 27-Jun-17 12:44:25

fox poo is actually quite different from cat poo, google it. It has lots of bits in.

PineappleScrunchie Tue 27-Jun-17 12:51:20

Cats will definitely poo on lawns as territory marking (although cat owners will claim its every other animal under the sun). It can be particularly bad if yours is the only cat-free house. We spent a lot of money trying to deter them but didn't find a permanent solution. If we were at home to catch them in the act then spraying them with water would work for a while but they got pretty wise to us coming out and it was a long garden so difficult to spray from house. You can get sensor activated sprayers but they are expensive and only have a small range.

stuntcamel Thu 29-Jun-17 20:23:24

Pineapple I've had cats upwards of 50 years, and I've seen a lot of them doing their business, but I have never ever seen one poo on a lawn. Not one of my cats (and I've had a few), not the neighbourhood felines, none.

I don't know who these weird cats are that poo on lawns, but it isn't normal behaviour.

PineappleScrunchie Thu 29-Jun-17 21:31:12

That's surprising stuntcamel. It even has a name

cat middening

stuntcamel Sat 01-Jul-17 20:21:36

I know about that, but it is uncommon in domestic felines, and is a stress response. Tends to happen more often indoors, actually. Most cats make at least an attempt to dig a hole and bury the stuff.

Whereas hedgehogs will poo wherever they go, and foxes are actually very territorial and scent marking in this way is common.

Ohyesiam Sat 08-Jul-17 05:26:46

To deter cats, you can buy lions poo, which is really effective! One supplier calls it The Silent Roar.
I couldn't ( be bothered) to use it long term, but it breaks the habit cycle of a car coming back to the same place.

Ohyesiam Sat 08-Jul-17 05:27:37

Cat, I've never had trouble with pooing cars....

timeforabrewnow Sat 08-Jul-17 05:44:22

Get a shovel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now