Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a theme to your garden?

(47 Posts)
mamapants Tue 30-May-17 09:23:16

Do you colour coordinate your garden? Or other theme?
We have an overgrown garden with various green shrubs and a few flowers. Was just wondering how people planned their gardens.
We currently have a mixture, lots of pinks and purples, some reds and yellows.
We are also thinking of doing a courtyard style garden at the end which we've moved some pink roses to and had some honeysuckle and nothing else at moment, what would complement roses well.

Mumofazoo Tue 30-May-17 10:08:19

Our garden has an Asian courtyard garden theme. We have worked really hard on it since we bought our house two years ago. The people who owned it before us had just paved over the whole lot, but we have taken out a lot of the pavers and created beds and a pond. We have a wide variety of different plants and a pagoda that we are training black dragon wisteria up. We also have large Buddha statues and other statues. This year is the first year that it has started looking really good with the plants growing into their spaces and it's become my favourite place to be.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 30-May-17 10:13:19

Our theme is dog chewed. .
Dog chewed toys.
Dog chewed good bloody chair!
Dog chewed bloody fence!
Dog chewed table!
sad

chickpeaburger Tue 30-May-17 10:14:50

Our theme is low maintenance

chickpeaburger Tue 30-May-17 10:16:12

Seriously though, we have a tiny garden so we've gone for a few evergreen trees/shrubs and in the flowering season we plant purples & reds only.

magicstar1 Tue 30-May-17 10:35:02

The previous owner of our house just concreted over everything..front and back sad. We're just starting to do it up now. We have a huge block shed at the end of the garden and it's painted white with black doors. We've made loads of planters from pallets, painted them black and filled them with multicoloured flowers. We're putting up some Texas lamp posts and that's as far as we've got lol.

mamapants Tue 30-May-17 11:46:46

That sounds beautiful mumofazoo. Must have been a lot of work.
flapjacks you have a similar theme to ours then ours is dog chewed meets children whirlwind of crap.
Everytime I plant anything the dog is there digging it up.
magicstar we have quite a bit of concrete we want rid of too.
chickpea two colours seems good, think we'll stick with all colours though as don't want to dig up flowers that seem to be doing well here.
Might end up digging up the roses though as unfortunately they are very straggly. We've chopped them right down a couple of years in a row now but they are remaining leggy and tall and thin. Not sure if they are meant to be climbers with no where to climb though.

sephymumma Tue 30-May-17 11:50:43

We've went cottage garden. Pulled out tons of conifers and overgrown cottoneaster and now I have 70 roses, lavender, geraniums and a large collection of heuchera. Oh and don't forget weeds. Lots and lots...have a 6 month old and just don't get the time at the min

imightneedsocks Tue 30-May-17 12:18:43

We also have English cottage garden...partly because it's true to where we are but also because the borders in a cottage garden tend to be very natural and really full so not so much weeding involved.

Tend to stick to perennials as well so quite low maintenance.

Have a Pinterest board for inspiration...lots of roses, foxgloves, bluebells, forget me nots, campanula, alliums, lavender, herbs, hydrangeas, etc.

cathyandclare Tue 30-May-17 13:28:10

When we moved in there was a Japanese style garden with winding paths, bamboo and acers. It then lurched into an out of control and full of perennial weeds phase and we're now aiming for more of a formal garden with lawn, gravel paths and box balls at the moment it's just a muddy field though

AstrantiaMajor Tue 30-May-17 14:46:29

My garden is low maintenance. It is tiny but I have put in lots of tall skinny trees that range from 20 feet to 2 feet. All my other planting is things that don't need pruning. I also chose plants that will have a good look for the whole year. I have lots of Acers and low growing conifers on my shady beds at the rear of the garden.

In the sunnier beds I have different ornamental grasses of varying height and shap. These are intermingled with hedgerow/ prairie plants. They have been chosen for the seed heads and their shape rather than flower appeal. My sitting room is all glass, so we look at the garden all year.

I can't stand bedding plants, hanging baskets or bright colours. We have deep magenta, every shade of green, soft purples, very pale pink, creams and blues.

JT05 Tue 30-May-17 17:28:36

My garden is three 'rooms'. We ended up with a long empty garden, when we moved house last year. Room 1 nearest the house is a courtyard with tall leafy plants in pots, room 2 is a long lawn with a pond and cottage garden planted crescent shaped bed around the pond at the end, room 3 is a green house and raised beds.
Hopefully we've reflected a modern version of the garden when the cottage was built.

Floralnomad Tue 30-May-17 17:36:33

We have an average sized garden and it's basically lawn , patios (2) , deck area , hydrangeas in the ground and in pots and ground cover geranium surrounding them - very minimalist . My mum and sister have a huge garden and apart from the lawn , deck and patio all the planting is bamboos , monkey puzzles and grasses , they could probably sustain a panda .

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 30-May-17 17:39:43

Cottage garden- roses, lavender,foxgloves and Clematis climbing up through the trees. It's taken 10 years to establish and this year it really looks beautiful,even if I say so myself wink

JT05 Tue 30-May-17 19:09:38

Dame your garden sound idyllic. I'm hoping my cottage garden room establishes quickly. It's tempting to overfill.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 30-May-17 19:10:34

Oh we definitely over fill, we joked the other day we need to move and start again grin

MrsBertBibby Tue 30-May-17 20:13:10

My theme is mainly things that took our fancy and then didn't die.

Maybe I'll get more artistic as I get more experienced. Right now it's very higgledy piggledy but I love it. The joy of seeing things you've nursed from seed hood going KAPOW ! all over the place is magic!

ChishandFips33 Tue 30-May-17 21:43:24

Mine is 'plant it and see' as I'm a first time gardener so not sure what grows where, how big etc

I also like all year round things

Front garden is verging on cottage like only one half appears to be red/yellows and the other purples and pinks - not planned!!

I like too many styles to stick to one theme hence my garden probably looking random!

TroysMammy Tue 30-May-17 21:46:19

No but I'm slowly replacing my lawn with veg beds. Next year a greenhouse and shed. As my keen gardener Dad says "you can't eat flowers".

traviata Tue 30-May-17 22:50:41

Modern cottage style, or that's what I tell myself. No vegetables, but plenty of grasses in with the flowers, and climbers running up trellis, obelisks and poles.

On one side it is shady woodland plants in pale colours, lots of ferns & greenery, and a few small trees. On the other side (sunny) it is brilliant jewel colours and rampant climbers. My front garden is grasses & gravel with prairie flowers dotted amongst.

As the garden is pretty small, it does lack "visual clarity" (phrase from gardening book I was reading yesterday), but as long as you only look at one area at a time, it's not bad.

BartiDdu Wed 31-May-17 01:18:19

I've limited the colours in my garden to white, pink, blue and purple.

I like gardens that are a riot of colour, but have come to the conclusion that it's a lot easier for me to make a garden look good, if I start of with fewer colours.

If you are after garden design inspiration, I can recommend a book by Matt James, called The Urban Gardener. It's aimed particularly at people with small urban gardens. Mine is neither, but I still picked up lots of ideas from it.

Zoflorabore Wed 31-May-17 01:26:32

Mine at the moment resembles a junglegrin

Not the look I was intending to go for...

WellTidy Wed 31-May-17 10:18:12

Sort of. I am a complete novice gardener, only started taking an interest for the first time ever (I am 42) a couple of months ago. We have a very established garden, full of mature shrubs (all planted by the previous owners), but we've neglected it for way too long and as a result everything is very overgrown and woody and we are completely swamped by weeds.

I cannot afford to replace established shrubs really, so I can only 'theme' what I buy going forwards. So any perennials or flowering shrubs that I buy have to be white, pink or purple. I like non flowering shrubs too, but I wouldn't buy anything yellow, orange or red. Its not that I don't like them, I really do like seeing them in other gardens. I just prefer the calmer colours, and it helps me to think a bit more clearly when choosing.

Recently, I've bought two pink roses, a pink peony, a white camellia, pink escallonia, a pink and a white weigela, lots of verbena, lots of purple tinged hebes, lots white and pink and lots of purple lavender, erysimum bowles mauve, two cistus, a limey cornus, white and purple lilacs, pink ceanothus, magnolia, fuschia hawkhead and delta's sara, three different mophead white hydrangeas, lots of heucheras and hellebores and some shrubs with pink tinged foliage - red robin Louise and pittosporum Elizabeth. And I've also bought polemonium and a huge amount of salvias. Plus some plants for pots, but I am fussy about bedding plants so I've just bought some purple and white osteospernum, white alyssum, white and pink bacopa and some pale pink geraniums, purple salvias of varying heights, purple campanula and white begonia.

Having a bit of a theme has focused me a bit, as I am very impulsive and when farced with such a variety at the garden centre, I just put everything on the trolley! I also have a list of shrubs and perennials that I've either already bought and are on their way, or I want to buy for next year - rhododendron hatzsu girl, deutzia mont rose or yuki cherry blossom, loropetalum chinese var rubrum Fire Dance, daphne x transatlantica Eternal Fragrance, black elder Black Beauty, a snowball tree (I think it is a variety of viburnum) and a lily of the valley shrub Pink Passion. So having a sort of theme has helped me hugely in that as now I know what I will buy and can plan ahead. And on a smaller scale, I will be buying lupin and allium bulbs this Autumn rather than buying them next Spring when they will be much more expensive.

dailydance Wed 31-May-17 10:42:47

Pink cottage garden - it was unintentional and I seem to be drawn to pink flowers

LynetteScavo Wed 31-May-17 12:40:02

I need photos!

I don't have a theme, but feel we should have one. Any suggestions welcome....it's long and thin with fruit trees had way down, but mostly lawn with rises and ferns and blackberry brambles. I fancy Moroccan but don't think I could pull it off, except maybe on the patio outside the kitchen. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now