Talk

Advanced search

Long blooming plants/flowers

(9 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Mon 29-May-17 20:42:56

Help please.
What flowers bloom or come back a few times during a season/ seasons ?
I have a south facing but in the north facing front garden border. It has laurel hedging in it and gets very very dry.
What would you recommend ? It is about 18 inches in width and about 7 foot long.
I want flowers that are pretty and last for ages.
Thank you in advance.

traviata Mon 29-May-17 22:15:14

The laurel hedging may be a problem - as you say, the border will get very dry because the hedge will be drinking all the moisture. This means flowering plants may struggle.

I wasn't sure whether the border is south or north facing. If it gets lots of sun you could try perovskia (Russian Sage), verbenas (either the very tall one which is verbena bonariensis or shorter ones called verbena rigida), rosemary, marjoram, cistus, helianthemum. All these plants like generally dry soil but they do need some water.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 29-May-17 22:23:48

Thank you. It's in the front garden which faces north but the bed itself is protected by the hedge and will get some sun in the summer.

OllyBJolly Mon 29-May-17 22:30:08

I have two erysimum. They start to flower early and bloom profusely until first frost. Beautiful uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A9mSs3EhkixZv74ADy5B4iA5;_ylc=X0kDeTRHeC56SXhNaTZxSkdRb3pEcmg2QUhwT0RndU1RQUFBQUJZd2V3ZQRfUwM5NTg0NTYzODUEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZAN5NEd4LnpJeE1pNnFKR1FvekRyaDZBSHBPRGd1TVFBQUFBQll3ZXdlBGZyMgNzYS1ncARncHJpZANzcHRDNkRVSFNkU196X2VjMXJHMWVBBG5fc3VnZwMxBHBvcwMxBHBxc3RyA2VyeXNpbXVtIHBhaW50BHBxc3RybAMxNARxc3RybAMxOARxdWVyeQNlcnlzaW11bSBwYWludCBib3gEdF9zdG1wAzE0OTYwOTMyNjMEdnRlc3RpZAM-?_tsrc=apple&ei=UTF-8&pvid=y4Gx.zIxMi6qJGQozDrh6AHpODguMQAAAABYwewe&gprid=sptC6DUHSdS_z_ec1rG1eA&fr2=sa-gp&p=erysimum%20paint%20box

OllyBJolly Mon 29-May-17 22:32:14

Oops-sorry!

hollyisalovelyname Wed 31-May-17 17:33:35

So perennial wallflower.
I have some already- a good idea- thank you.

Deux Wed 31-May-17 22:33:16

I have a border in front of a laurel hedge.

I'm in the process of developing it and so far what's growing really well is Geranium Rozanne and Erigeron. They're both ground covery.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 01-Jun-17 07:31:42

They look lovely, thank you

arbrighton Thu 01-Jun-17 11:12:39

Things that do well around our hedges (and seem to flower a long time)

Perennial wall flower
Geraniums like Rozanne as posted above but have several varieties so different shades etc

Nepeta (catmint)

Marjoram

aquilegia do ok but not that long a life span flower wise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now