Talk

Advanced search

Please help me help my houseplants!

(7 Posts)
SleepBecomesHim321 Mon 29-May-17 20:13:15

I love houseplants and have been acquiring more and more over the last few months.

However, my knowledge of how best to care for them is limited, and I don't even know what several of them are!

Is anyone able to tell me what these are, and how best to care for them? Many thanks in advance!

CarbonMint Mon 29-May-17 20:16:28

First plant in pic 1 looks like a Devils Ivy or varient of one.

bigbadbarry Mon 29-May-17 20:19:16

Pic 2 are begonias. They like it humid.

NanTheWiser Mon 29-May-17 21:15:02

#1 is Scindapsus pictus 'Argyraeus'

Qwebec Tue 30-May-17 20:26:04

the second plant on the first pic looks like a type of codiaeum, they come with all kind of leaf shapes. They like consistency, sudden change can make them loose a few (or many) leaves.

All of those plants enjoy quite a bit of sun (scindapsus tolerates a bit less). The first two are relatively straight forward. Begonias grown indoors are prone to mildew IME, so a bit more delicate.

SleepBecomesHim321 Wed 31-May-17 07:28:13

Thank you very much. They're all on a sunny shelf and seem to be OK so far. For those liking humidity, is it enough to mist them every now and then or should I move them somewhere humid like a bathroom?

Finally, how often should I repot/feed?

Thanks.

Qwebec Thu 01-Jun-17 18:31:38

A normal room should be fine, you just need to be fine with the tip of the leaves drying a little bit. Repot when you notice you need to water your plants more and more often or by looking the plant seems disproportionate to the size of the pot. Most people overfeed and the minerals builds up in tho soil. fid the plant some only in growing season (i.e. when you see it developping) about once a month. In this case less is more. Too much will harm them way more than giving nothing at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now