Talk

Advanced search

What would you do with this garden?

(9 Posts)
mumtomaxwell Mon 29-May-17 15:45:50

This is our north east facing garden, we live in a three storey house. The hedge at the back is very very tall but is in a no-mans land between two newish developments. The garden is very shaded as a result of all these factors.

The sleeper raised beds are new, the patio is in good condition but I'm not against changing it.

That bit where there's a slide and loads of rubbish is 3m x 4m and used to have decking on it but that rotted. Now we can't decide what to do with it. My DH thinks grass, I think that'll be really difficult to grow because it's north facing, shaded and heavy clay soil. Artificial grass is not an option either as I seem to be allergic to it!!!!

Budget is limited and I'd like something that the children will enjoy using.

At a complete loss....

Puffpaw Mon 29-May-17 15:49:15

Whereabouts in the uk are you? If it is somewhere warm is hid go for jungle garden with a den and options for hide and seek. I'd keep the paving, gardens don't have to be grass to be fun! How old are children?

mumtomaxwell Mon 29-May-17 15:52:32

They're 9,9 and 4.
I love the idea of making a den area for them!
We're in Northamptonshire.

Puffpaw Mon 29-May-17 16:00:35

Here are some ideas

Puffpaw Mon 29-May-17 16:05:31

You can get things like this
www.notonthehighstreet.com/meandfreya/product/wicker-hut

mumtomaxwell Mon 29-May-17 17:03:43

Those willow dens look awesome! Just need to decide what to put on the ground underneath - at the moment it's mud and cat poo!!!

GingerKitCat Mon 29-May-17 18:46:29

Love those photos Puffpaw

OP could you look into a rubber play surface/tiles for the bit around the slide? Possibly in a bright colour? I would've suggested rubber chippings or play bark but they're supposedly a magnet for cats!

Have you tried pressure washing the patio? Mine came up significantly cleaner and lighter after doing so.

Love your border! I'm about to buy a Madame Alfred Carriere climbing rose for a NE facing fence. It would look amazing against your dark fence as the blooms are white/blush and profuse smile It favours shady fences!

mumtomaxwell Mon 29-May-17 19:15:38

That sounds lovely - we've got a clematis that's doing really well and needs training up the fence. Plenty of room for a rose too!

It does all need pressure washing - it got really dirty when we did the border. The slide is destined for the skip!!!

Puffpaw Mon 29-May-17 19:19:12

We have a mme alfred carriere, it also has the most wonderful scent, it is very large tho!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now