Talk

Advanced search

Plant ID please

(10 Posts)
Attie17 Mon 29-May-17 10:47:23

Hello all, novice gardener here! We recently moved into our first house with a garden. There is lots of plants/trees that we aren't sure what they are, but starting with this tree-like plant that has grown very quickly. There are two of them, about six feet apart and one is much taller than the other. Any ideas what it is and if we should to get rid of it?

Mumofazoo Mon 29-May-17 10:52:08

Hi, it looks like a young ash tree to me. I think the can become pests as they can sprout up everywhere.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Mon 29-May-17 11:07:31

Def an ash, they are a bugger to dig up as well.

Attie17 Mon 29-May-17 19:11:15

Thank you! I think you are right. I can see a large ash tree in the neighbour's garden, so probably seeded from there. Now to figure out how to get rid of them!

Ferguson2 Mon 29-May-17 20:38:23

And what is climbing up the trellis? If it is bindweed (convolvulus) that needs to go as well.

Attie17 Mon 29-May-17 21:40:37

Sadly I do think that is bindweed/morning glory. The previous owner, an elderly woman, was a keen gardener. But it appears she didn't do much to tackle the bindweed - it's all over the garden. I spent a day digging it from the veg patch and the stawberry beds. But it is in all the raised flower beds and around the fruit bushes and I have no idea how I'll tackle it. Any advice is much appreciated!

stellaaaa Tue 30-May-17 07:11:05

Looks a bit like an elderflower tree to me. We have them self seeding all through our garden.

Fantasticmissfoxy Tue 30-May-17 08:23:10

Unfortunately regardless of what type of tree it is, you'll have to remove it as it's far too close to the building. Trees can and will undermine foundations and cause huge issues if planted too close to a house. And for the bindweed - glyphosate

arbrighton Tue 30-May-17 17:16:02

Glyphosate or if you're not so keen on chemicals, careful digging, looking for long white roots. Very satisfying to pull out but try not to break bits off as each one becomes a new plant

I've almost eradicated bindweed from my garden without glyphosate, and ground elder too. Just a shame glyphosate has no effect on horsetails....

Attie17 Sat 03-Jun-17 18:55:34

Thanks all. Got some glyphosate today - hopefully it works! And will try digging where it's near plants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now