Talk

Advanced search

Several plant ID needed please

(14 Posts)
Chimichangaz Sat 27-May-17 15:32:28

Can anyone help identify these plants please? I think the first one may be a kind of herb, I vaguely remember planting something there last year or the year before and now it's gone bananas and spread all along the border. The second one appears in a few places in the garden, it grows quite tall quite quickly. The last one started off as a fairly low plant (quite reedy) that had yellow flowers on it but they haven't appeared for a while, and it too has gone mad. I think there's another plant entangled in it too. Would I be ok to cut them back now or should I wait til after summer?

TIA

Trethew Sat 27-May-17 18:30:27

Haven't a clue what 1. is

2. I think is pheasant berry, if so it's a shrub (Leycesteria formosa) which has maroon flowers in tassels, and seeds all over the place

3. is Carex pendula, an impressive weed which will seed everywhere and become a nuisance. Best dug out asap before it takes over. I think the plant in the middle of it is hypericum which has yellow flowers a bit like a giant buttercup

FriedSprout Sat 27-May-17 18:41:24

Think the first one d Thyme

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sat 27-May-17 18:57:26

The first one is cinquefoil. You didn't plant it, it's a very difficult to eradicate weed. Needs digging out thoroughly.

Second is Leycesteria formosa, or pheasant berry. A decent shrub, but likely to seed itself about the place.

Third is as a pp said, a carex known commonly as woodrush. Get rid before you have it everywhere, it's another prolific self seeder.

NanTheWiser Sat 27-May-17 21:39:47

First one is NOT cinquefoil, I think it could be Aubrieta (has it had purple flowers?)

Chimichangaz Sun 28-May-17 09:17:34

Thanks all.

Trethew (& JeNeSuis) I think it's yes to carex pendula and probably yes to pheasant berry. Don't think that hypericum is in there though, different flowers.

Nan it's not aubretia as there are no flowers. Pretty sure it's thyme as Friedsprout said.

Am going out with my secateurs today grin

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Mon 29-May-17 07:50:35

No you're right, I've put my glasses on and I can now confirm that no.1 is not cinquefoil, sorry.

Could you post another picture of a close up of the leaves?

stonecircle Mon 29-May-17 07:54:47

Have you rubbed the first one between your fingers to see if it smells like thyme? I've got lots of different thymes in my herb garden and I'm not sure that is.

ShowOfHands Mon 29-May-17 08:04:26

I've just dug out 12 carex pendula bushes in our new garden (yesterday in fact). Good news is they lift out really easily. I just trimmed them so I could see and then eased them out with a fork.

MattBerrysHair Mon 29-May-17 08:44:27

Is the first one Hacquetia?

Chimichangaz Mon 29-May-17 09:51:17

Here's a more close up shot of no. 1 (with raindrops...)

I tried smelling it and it didn't smell of anything (but I've not got a great sense of smell)

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Tue 30-May-17 13:15:07

It's in the pea family.
It could be Birdsfoot trefoil.

Chimichangaz Sun 11-Jun-17 09:04:14

So I've had a bit of a tidy up, I chopped back the purply plant and garden looks tons better. Cut back the reedy one; again garden looks miles better. My brother in law told me last week the first plant is a weed, it had honestly grown like wildfire! I dug it all out, nearly did my back in and it filled a third of the wheelie bin shock

Oldraver Sun 11-Jun-17 09:44:07

The Leycestria is a beautiful plant when it gets going..I have one years ago and had to take it out for some reason, planted a new one last year. It has lovely danglyflowers/bracts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now