Talk

Advanced search

Bug identification help needed for a rubbish gardener

(6 Posts)
Catzpyjamas Sat 27-May-17 13:30:52

I can't even remember what my plant is but it's very pretty. However I just noticed these things all over it with what looks like pupae on the stems. Can anyone please tell me what they are and how I can get rid of them?

Nickynackynoodle Sat 27-May-17 13:33:27

It's a lupin. They look like aphids of some sort. You can spray with bug clear or similar or some people use a dilute washing up liquid spray. Or get some ladybirds!!

Catzpyjamas Sat 27-May-17 13:47:27

Ahh, yes, lupin! Thanks Nickynackynoodle.
I'm not keen on insecticide because of the cat so I might try washing up liquid. I had a ladybird on me at the park yesterday. I knew I should have brought her home!

MrsBertBibby Sat 27-May-17 21:01:45

Probably lupin aphid. You need to get the off asap. You can squidge them off by hand.

TroysMammy Sat 27-May-17 21:05:05

Mealy bugs?

Catzpyjamas Sat 27-May-17 21:39:22

Thank you for the further replies. I sprayed the plant with diluted fairy platinum and then the heavens opened so they're all enjoying a very foamy power shower. I've managed to keep that lupin alive for four years a miracle for me so I don't want to lose it now. I'll attack them again tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now