Talk

Advanced search

Weird things all over my hydrangea (pics)

(13 Posts)
DoloresAbernathy Sat 27-May-17 09:57:34

Please can anyone help advise what is all over my hydrangea and if it's likely to kill the plant what I might be able to do about it?

Hiahia Sat 27-May-17 10:26:33

I've literally just discovered the same thing on my red currant (who also suffers from blister aphids, and I think possibly also just regular greenflies as well?!).

It's this I guess, brown scale: www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=455
bit overwhelmed by how many different solutions they propose, does anybody has been particularly successful with any specific one?

DoloresAbernathy Sat 27-May-17 16:45:07

Thank you @Hiahia at least I now know what it is... I'm going to just try some standard bug spray and see how I get on confused

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 27-May-17 16:47:51

They killed my lemon tree sad

DoloresAbernathy Sat 27-May-17 22:58:53

@TheCrowFromBelow Did you try anything to kill them off or did you not realise until the lemon tree was killed?

Qwebec Sun 28-May-17 01:58:49

Ah yes those things... I had an infestation indoors. I had to get rid of a third of my plants, even some rare ones I knew I would not be able to replace. I tried all kind of treatments even a heavy duty systemic one I had to import to no avail.

In you shoes I would get rid of the plant asp, asisting to the agony is heart breaking.

MakeJam Sun 28-May-17 06:17:06

Scale insects. They are really hard to get rid of because they have a hard shell and seem resistant to insecticide. I tried removing them by hand wiping with a tissue soaked in fairy liquid. I've had them on a standard bay tree and a lemon tree and lost both in the end. Be careful of using insecticide if the plant is in flower as it will also kill pollinating insects and bees.

DoloresAbernathy Sun 28-May-17 07:36:28

Thank you @Qwebec and @MakeJam for replying even if it's not what I wanted to hear! I can't see it on any other plants yet so I'm hoping it hasn't spread but I'll be keeping a close eye!
The hydrangea isn't in flower yet and I'm making sure to keep to the stems but Its looking likely that I'll probably have to get rid of it it before it gets to flower sad

MakeJam Sun 28-May-17 07:41:46

I'd take it out and burn it.

TheCrowFromBelow Sun 28-May-17 07:45:54

Dolores by the time I noticed them the leaves were falling. They are really hard to spot!
My dad has got rid of them by scraping them off gently with washing up liquid as pp said but I think it needs to done daily.

DoloresAbernathy Sun 28-May-17 08:43:08

@MakeJam I want to at this point but DH is insisting we don't give up, I'm just worried it will spread further.
@TheCrowFromBelow DH is now doing just that but it's a very full plant and each stem is covered and also under the leaves ... he's also spotted one or two on the other two potted ones ( they have all been next to each other) he's removed those and separated them but I'm feeling very glass half empty! Fingers crossed if your dad got rid we can too!

Hiahia Tue 30-May-17 16:31:42

I think I will get rid of the currant bush too then.

Damn it!

DoloresAbernathy Wed 31-May-17 22:13:19

@Hiahia I got rid in the end too envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now