Talk

Advanced search

Garden shredder, recommendations?

(6 Posts)
linspins Fri 26-May-17 11:02:12

Hello! We need a garden shredder to shred up hedge trimmings, branches etc, to make a good mulch and compost material.
I've read online reviews but it's all confusing: the ones that Which report recommend as 'best buys' all then have bad customer reviews from people that bought them. I'm willing to spend up to £300 on one but need it to be good for that money!
Has anyone bought a great one recently?

Camelsinthegobi Fri 26-May-17 22:58:46

I have a qualcast 2800 silent shredder and love it a lot. Much better than cheaper models and £50 off in argos at the moment. It has a big bin to catch shreddings, manages sticks and leaves, not tooo noisy (though not silent either!).

linspins Fri 26-May-17 23:13:36

Thanks Camels. I'll have a look at that one. It's so odd the disparity between online test results and customer reviews. I can't afford to spend loads only for it to be rubbish...!
Anyone else?

MrsBertBibby Sat 27-May-17 07:44:35

I suspect reviewers may have unrealistic expectations. Fargo has a lot to answer for!

linspins Thu 01-Jun-17 15:26:28

Update, we bought a Bosch one, cost just under £300 and it's pretty good. It did jam on what was possibly a too large lump, and this took ages to clear, but one the whole it's shredded very well. It's not as noisy as I'd imagined, and makes wonderful material all ready to compost.
It's not fast if you have heaps and heaps of stuff to shred, as we have, having taken down a while huge eucalyptus tree, but I thinks it's going to be very useful generally for hedge trimmings and garden waste.

SpareBedroom Thu 01-Jun-17 17:38:01

I have a Bosch too - the 2200 AXT one. I got a second hand one on Gumtree for about £50. Needed a new blade this year but they're about £25 from Amazon. I've been very happy with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now