Talk

Advanced search

Can some one use small words and explain fertiliser please

(5 Posts)
Cathpot Thu 25-May-17 16:35:12

Hello. I just havent got my head round what I should be doing with fertilisers. I currently put horse poo on the garden twice a year round fruit trees etc and in the raised bed. Then I sort of faff about with tomato fertiliser and some seaweed in a bottle stuff without a real plan or any idea what I am doing. Can anyone just give me some basic rules?

AlternativeTentacle Thu 25-May-17 16:39:31

Plants need nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus as well as other minerals to grow.

Nitrogen makes them greener, potassium helps them form fruits and phosphorus helps the roots grow.

If you have good soil, nothing needs fertilising at all.

For tomatoes in pots, mix up a seaweed or tomato feed as per the instructions and water into the top of the soil once a week. Don't overwater or leave them standing in the fertilised water. the rest of the time, water the tray they are sat in when the pot feels light. Leave them for 30 mins to soak up what they need and tip the rest away. In reality, water the saucer and if it is gone in 5 mins, add a bit more until it stops slurping it up. You can use the same feed on all fruiting plants in pots.

If in the ground, feed the soil over winter rather than the plant in the summer. DO this by adding a good mulch, some manure, compost or sow a green manure and dig it in before it flowers.

Cathpot Thu 25-May-17 17:37:51

Thanks. Thoughts on corgettes in pots? Can I just use the seaweed? I am definitely guilty of over watering as I tend to leave water in the trays under pots and then go off to work- I worry otherwise about them cooking in the greenhouse . Will have a think about that

AlternativeTentacle Thu 25-May-17 17:38:40

Yes you can but dilute it properly first.

Cathpot Thu 25-May-17 21:41:07

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now