Talk

Advanced search

Can you identify this plant?

(9 Posts)
Deux Thu 25-May-17 12:10:12

I bought a planted planter last year from the reduced section of the garden centre last year. A little tlc and it did well.

I thought all the plants were annuals but this one has survived the winter and is thriving. It's blue-ish purple centre with pale lilac/blue-ish petals and I'm hoping to plant it in the border.

Thanks. smile

BartiDdu Thu 25-May-17 12:19:05

Are the bottom of the petals white as well? It looks like it could be an Osteospermum, which are sold as annuals, but can easily survive a mild winter.

Deux Thu 25-May-17 12:37:12

The petals are one complete colour so white with a hint of lilac. The underside is sort of striped. Photo attached.

The petals don't close up at night.

Deux Thu 25-May-17 12:38:06

Sorry wrong photo.

MattBerrysHair Thu 25-May-17 13:26:26

I second osteospermum, African daisy is the common name.

BartiDdu Thu 25-May-17 20:47:41

In that case, definitely an osteospermum! Looks very nice.

Deux Thu 25-May-17 23:43:47

Thanks everyone. I love it. It's my little garden hero right now. I keep finding myself drawn to it. I think I'm going to leave it in its pot now.

I'm trying to keep a record of what's planted where in the garden so I get a bit angsty when I don't know what something is. blush

viques Fri 26-May-17 09:23:07

I have one in a pot at the front and it has been there for a couple of years now, not quite as prolific as it was but since it shares the pot with a few other things I don't mind. My thought would be to keep it in the pot, or even to transfer it to a slightly bigger pot with better soil /compost and a few friends and see how it goes.

MaudAndOtherPoems Sat 27-May-17 08:25:59

Yes, osteospermum. They usually get through the winter in my fairly sheltered garden and are pretty easy to propagate as cuttings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now