Talk

Advanced search

Lewisia - planting

(5 Posts)
WellTidy Wed 24-May-17 16:11:24

I've bought three 9cm pots of Lewisia for one of my beds, to give extra colour. I am confused as to how much space to give each pot. I can see that it can spread to 30cm, but is this within one season? So should I give each of the 9 cm pots a radius of 30 cm? This seems a lot to me! Or can I plant them closer together? I had in mind that I would plant all three very close together for more impact.

JT05 Wed 24-May-17 17:34:11

Lewisia like to be dry, they are alpine plants and like gritty free draining soil. I have always been told that they should be planted at an angle between rocks, so that no water gathers in the middle.
Mind you, even doing all that I've still never managed to keep one!

WellTidy Wed 24-May-17 17:44:09

Oh drat. I am very watering can happy! I think this will be an experience I will learn from. At least they were on offer!

traviata Wed 24-May-17 23:14:42

OP it depends on the effect you want.

Traditionally, people gave every plant enough space for it to spread to its own natural maximum without encroaching on any other plant. That way you could appreciate the beauty of each individual plant, and for taller plants, they could be (and had to be ) staked and generally primped and pampered. Planting guidelines are usually prepared for this style of planting, so your Lewisia would not get anywhere near each other for a few seasons.

The more contemporary approach is to cram plants together so there is no bare earth. After all, there is no bare earth in nature - something will always grow there. So if you would like a more 'natural' effect and a more abundant effect - plant them closer together. Your idea of planting together for impact is exactly in line with this.

In any case - if they start to seem too crowded in a couple of years, you can move them!

WellTidy Thu 25-May-17 15:36:55

Thanks traviata. That's really good advice. I am going to plant closely together and hope for the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now