Talk

Advanced search

Munched Lilies

(8 Posts)
mermaidsandunicorns Wed 24-May-17 11:29:45

Hi all

I've just gone out to have a look at my lillies and all but one has been munched. whatever ate them has left a very pretty iridescent like slime. Is this slugs do you think?

samandcj Wed 24-May-17 12:31:23

I've just found Lilly beetle on my lillies. Bright red little critters! They leave a slime trail as they munch.
You need to spot them, pick them off carefully and squash them!
If they fall to the ground on their back....their underside is black and you can't spot them.

mermaidsandunicorns Wed 24-May-17 13:30:27

Little mites just had a look and there are beetley things there. They seem to be partial to my violas too

viques Wed 24-May-17 20:34:36

Lily beetles are the devils children. Though very pretty. The larva who do the damage cover themselves in their own poo so birds won't eat them.

mermaidsandunicorns Wed 24-May-17 21:16:17

Is there any other way to get rid of them I'm a bit squeamish about beetle crushing

Chasingsquirrels Wed 24-May-17 21:18:48

You can get a spray, or granules/powder that you make up into a spray. I don't know any brand names as my mum males me some up in an old spray bottle with "DEATH TO LILY BEETLES" handwritten on it.
Squashing the buggers is quite satisfying, although I wear a thin latex glove.

mermaidsandunicorns Wed 24-May-17 21:35:58

I love DEATH TO LILLY BEETLES I shall do this!!!

mermaidsandunicorns Wed 24-May-17 21:50:36

The slime is so pretty such a shames it's so destructive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now