Talk

Advanced search

Training sweat peas downwards?

(11 Posts)
WankersHacksandThieves Tue 23-May-17 19:35:33

I put sweet peas in my hanging baskets imagining a flowing trail of beautiful flowers coming down from them. <--- Stupid!!

As you would imagine, they are trailing upwards instead....

Any ideas for getting them to trail down that would look okay? Baskets are at the front door.

JT05 Tue 23-May-17 19:41:24

They will grow towards the maximum source of light. They will flop from weight eventually.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 23-May-17 19:44:29

Hopefully - what if they work their way up the porch?

IamSpartacusTheGardener Tue 23-May-17 19:46:21

Not easy! They are phototropic so grow towards light sources from the moment they germinate.

Steve

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-17 19:46:35

I'd let them go where they want - they won't hurt the porch as they only twist round, not sucker on like ivy does. If they run out of things to climb they will indeed succumb to gravity.

OllyBJolly Tue 23-May-17 19:48:59

You can get sweet peas for hanging baskets but they will naturally grow upwards.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 23-May-17 19:49:05

Can't believe I was so stupid smile

I'm sure they will look lovely soon - they are about a foot high and growing well but no flowers yet.

viques Fri 26-May-17 09:32:23

If you want dangly it is not too late to put some nasturtium seeds in your hanging baskets, though I am not sure sweet pea and nasturtiums go together very well. Have you got room for a trailing geranium or two?

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 26-May-17 09:40:20

I don't think I have room for anything - they looked very bare to begin with but they've filled out a lot (can't see any earth at all).

When I go on holiday we usually put the baskets on the ground beside the pots to make it easier for my neighbour to water them so I suppose I shouldn't really bother too much. I'm wondering if it might be as well to just pop the baskets on the ground and let them climb up.

MrsBadger Fri 26-May-17 10:00:33

tbh I'd do that - my sweet peas have only just started the mad gallop so if you put them on the ground and stick a cane or two in now you'll have gorgeous columns in two weeks.

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 26-May-17 10:02:30

Thanks you, It would also stop DH and the DSs banging their heads on them every time they come in the door smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now