Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pots by front door - west facing and sheltered

(10 Posts)
Ilovecrumpets Mon 22-May-17 21:12:17

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for three pots I have by my front door ( one fairly large, one medium and one smaller ( but still a good size))? It is a terraced Georgian house with small front garden, west facing and sheltered.

No tap near front door, so whilst I am pretty diligent with the back garden and watering the front does sometimes get overlooked!

I was wondering about a small olive tree plus lavenders? Don't know if lavenders will look a bit tatty/odd? Or could maybe go for some trailing lobelia ( dumb question but am assuming I could still get some plugs as I think I might be too late for planting from seed?)

Any help appreciated - I'm new to gardening in the last year but have discovered a love for it! Starting to get to grips with my back garden but front pots less so.

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 22-May-17 21:17:54

Our front is west-facing, though not sheltered & I have a stone trough with lavender in - it often gets dry but still does ok.

You could try jasmine, which dies very well in tubs in hot dry places,

I also have a small acer in a mid-sized pot that chugs along happily. I'll post a couple of pics in a minute smile

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 22-May-17 21:18:13

Does, not dies, sorry grin

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 22-May-17 21:21:52

There are 2 different lavenders, no idea what they're called though.

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 22-May-17 21:22:55

Oh - pictures didn't load - will try again

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 22-May-17 21:23:19

NOW they have! confused

AstrantiaMajor Mon 22-May-17 21:40:33

For a Georgian house I would suggest something quite structured. A standard lavender, standard Ceonothis, Bay or Olive. Then Rosemary, Hebe and Eonymous in the smaller pots. Possibly some Trailimg silvery trailing Ivy. I would avoid flowering plants if you forget to water occasionally as these will soon deteriorate.

AstrantiaMajor Mon 22-May-17 21:45:59

This type of thing

ChishandFips33 Tue 23-May-17 00:44:09

I have a cordyline in a tallish pot with trailing ivy - seems to be thriving with a bit of neglect and west facing/sheltered

Ilovecrumpets Tue 23-May-17 11:23:51

Thank you everyone. Very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now