Talk

Advanced search

Little red robin (plant) in a bad way....any ideas (with pic)

(7 Posts)
united4ever Sun 21-May-17 20:51:06

Bought this little red robin about a month ago and reported it using multi purpose compost. Put it in a partly shaded spot (Maybe that was the mistake?). The leaves are falling off and it doesn't look too healthy. Tonight I moved it to a sunny part of the garden to see how it does there. Didn't water it a great deal....i gather it is a meditarenean (italian) plant so doesn't need a lot to drink but maybe I should have watered more. Any other ideas. I added a bit of fish blood and bone tonight and a couple of times added baby bio to the water (only half a cap for 2 or 3 litres for several plants). Any tips on reviving it?

ChishandFips33 Sun 21-May-17 22:34:47

I have this dilemma too!

I have 3 LRRs and the first one is not doing great at all - I have moved it to where the other two are thriving but I think the previous position has done too much damage

My first one was originally in a pit but my other 2 went straight in to the ground so maybe this is the difference

Ericaceous compost?

PurpleWithRed Sun 21-May-17 22:41:05

Photinias are usually tough as old boots. are you overwatering it's any chance? Could there be vine weevils in the pot? Maybe jut pop it in a quiet corner for a bit to get growing again?

Trethew Sun 21-May-17 23:17:32

I think two things are going on. Firstly they have a sort of moult in the spring and drop a whole load of the old leaves which makes them look a bit sparse for a while. Secondly, hard to be sure, but it looks as if the tender new leaves have got frosted and gone brown. Photinias are pretty tough so now it is repotted and fed, it will probably grow away once the weather warms up.
.... and not too much water

united4ever Mon 22-May-17 11:19:59

Thanks. It is not ericaceous compost but I have some miracle gro feed for acid loving plants I put on some mountain bush (forget the name) and a little bit in some Japanese racers (that's ok isn't it?). Might put a bit of the feed in the LRR then.

Trethew Mon 22-May-17 17:14:29

It does not need ericaceous compost, it's happy in acid or alkaline soil. If you've planted it with blood fish and bone, and given it Baby Bio, don't give it any more. Just keep it moist and give it time

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sat 27-May-17 19:10:01

Love the vision of "Japanese racers" in the garden!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now